GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice
    Zoetermeer ( Sweetlake City) The Netherlands

Default general grabber??

I'm looking int a new set of rims and tires. I noticed General grabbers ( 285-50-20) are very affordable. Are they any good?

General's are junk. That big ole truck deserves better Michelin M/S's...Nothin' but the best.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

+1, I run michelin LTS M/S on my suburban, and absolutley love them. I've never known any other tire on my Sub, but I went from Firestones to Michelins on my car, and it DOES make a HUGE difference. Michelins are made from a softer rubber, so they are much softer and give a much smoother ride. You can definitley tell the difference. Plus, the tires last a long time, provided you aren't stupid and mistreat them.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

GENERAL GRABBER AT2's ARE AWESOME! Great in mud snow and rain and are also a very soft tire for a lot less $ than the michelins.

Actually if you're talking about the less aggressive General tire I have no idea.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Sr. Apprentice

I was actually talking about the GENERAL GRABBER UHP

Michelin is hard to get in big sizes in Europe
    Last edited by DutchTBI; 12-13-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Just out of curiosity, do you know why Michelins are hard to find in Europe? I wouldn't think there's any type of embargo or anything going on that would prevent Europe from getting them...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Apprentice

Don't get me wrong. You can get Michelin over here, but mostly for european size cars.

American trucks are quite rare over here, and almost nobody has bigger wheels than the stock size. So big tires are also rare. The only affordable ones are general, Bridgestone, Toyo, Continental, Cooper and Pirelli.

I had General Grabber AT tires on my Blazer for awhile.

If money is an issue, I'd say they'll do...

Back when I had that truck, they were the biggest tires Sam's Wholesale carried and I could find none anyplace cleaper in 32x11.50 if memory serves...

Quote Originally Posted by DutchTBI View Post
    The only affordable ones are general, Bridgestone, Toyo, Continental, Cooper and Pirelli.

I know that the coopers are good tyres. Ive put them on many trucks at work and they wear well, providing you have a good alignment, and last long enough. Once you step up to anything larger than say 18" you are already taking a hit on ride quality so no matter what tyre you put on its not going to be as good as original.

Also Hankook makes a good 20" and above tyre. Check them out.
    2005 Chevy Silverado - Bright orange, 4.8L, 2wd, reg cab, short bed, Stock for now. :glasses:
    1967 Ford Mustang - Coupe, 200ci 6cyl w/minor upgrades, Stereo, Wheels, Interior, All other stock. White. First car and love her.

Former cars.
    1967 Ford Mustang - Coupe, 302 race prep, one bad ass car but she met her maker at the track :erf:
    1997 Ford Mustang Cobra - All stock, caused to much trouble with her. Well thats what the cops kept saying so i had to get rid of her.:grrrrrr:

michelins are junk. i had a set on my 2001 dodge ram and i would get stuck on flat ground. They have no tracktion at all from my experance. But if u like to do smoke burn outs they leave some nice rubber on your rear quater panal...
    HI MY NAME IS. HI MY NAME IS. HI MY NAME IS.
    BJ

1993 GMC K2500 Suburban 5.7L Jegs 8.0mm wires, Jegs Red Hot Coil, Jegs Cap & Rotor, Accel U-Grove Plugs, Cold Air Intake, Holly Headers, Manderal Bend Y-Pipe, Super 40 Muffler, M/T Classic II sitting on BFG A/T (MINE)

[COLOR="Magenta"]1994 Chevy S10 Blazer 4X4 4.3L CPI. Delta Flow 50 Muffler.(Wifes) DIED.. Cab mounts rotted out.. Parting out need anything let me know!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast