GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: drinking oil?

Default drinking oil?

What could be a reason why my 07 4.3 v6 silverado's oil level keeps going down between oil changes. by the time 3000 miles comes around its getting low on oil...
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

I'm going to state the obvious but I'm guessing you don't have an oil leek because that would be noticeable.

Also check the spark plugs, make sure there is no consumption there, if so you may have bad rings or bad valve seals.

If still nothing it may be an internal leak and I would suggest pulling the cylinder heads.

Where are you going to get oil changes, you may want to try some where else and see of that makes a difference.

If you do then yourself then make you change the filter and then do the oil. Many do it the opposite way and then don't realize that when they pull the filter the level goes down and they loose an good amount of oil. Hope this helps!!

Let me know!!

2009 Chevy Silverado!

Blacked out tail lights + 3rd brake light
    l Tint: 35% front windows and Limo on the rest l Hard wired Valentine One radar detector l Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires with GM CK375 wheels l Hand welded receiver hitch l HID lighting l SMD lighting l Blacked out front and rear emblems l Cherry Bomb Extreme exhaust dumped l 2 Kenwood 12's powered by a Kenwood amp w/ an Base control l

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ---2012 Chevy Cruze
    ---

"Let's just agree that a perfect truck is hard to find, and we'll drive the Silverado till we find it." - Car and Driver

My 97 4.3 was eating oil because I had a vaccum leak with the PCV valve but there was a wierd smell like the oil was burning. After I changed the PCV valve it stopped eating oil.

So on to my question, is there a wierd smell like its burning?

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

I've been changing my own oil and i've been changing the filter first. i dont smell burning oil at all and the gauges look fine too. its gettting about time for another change so i think ill just take it in this time and let them check it out. the guy my family uses is pretty good and i think he will be able to fix it. thank you for the help i would try it myself but im not all that experienced on working on trucks.
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.