GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default vortec to tbi can i do it

another question can i replace my 4.3 vortec motor with a tbi 350 and what would i need to do it like wireing and trans and tcase

To quickly answer your question "YES"

Judging from your avatar, you have an S10, aside from space in the engine compartment; the lack of strength in the rest of the drivetrain; the need to change the PCM; the radiator not being large enough, it's a piece of cake............................if you have the $$$$$$$$$$.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

i have a k1500 4x4 with a 4.3 but thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by im_cracker_head View Post
    i have a k1500 4x4 with a 4.3 but thanks for posting
    Ok, you changed your avatar. A K1500 is a different story. There is room, the rad is probably big enough, the powertrain (except for rear axle) is probably strong enough.
    The rear axle needs to be at least a 8.5" axle (a locker would be good).

The good news, the motor mounts are in the right place; use new ones, nothing worse than a soft motor mount.

All you need is (maybe a rear axle) and a motor and a computer (and of course, the things the V8 requires, distributor, coil(s), etc).

Your existing transmission and transfercase are the same ones used behind the 350, so no need to change them. All you need is the 350 itself, the pcm and wiring. Your whole front dress (alt, a/c comp, p/s pump) and all brackets are the same on the 350 as your 4.3l, so no need to buy them.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

If your fuel system is already plumbed to handle the higher fuel pressures of the 96+ Vortec motors (unsure of the fuel PSI required for the 95 and earlier Vortec 4.3), then I would personally go with a Vortec 350. The TBI 350 leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, it will be an improvement over the 4.3, but it has a very narrow power band. I have a TBI 350, and as soon as my wallet agrees, that thing is coming out because if you pull any kind of weight it's about useful as a trapdoor in a canoe. If I do get orders for Fort Benning I'm dreading using it to haul my 73 Camaro down with me. In fact, I may just borrow someone else's truck if I can. That's how much I hate pulling with that motor. I would carb it (and change the crap TBI heads and cam) before I would use the actual TBI intake and fuel system.

Hope this helps.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

thanks guys this helps alot i love this site now