GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Color matched tails.

So I got bored with my tail lights and while I was at the paint store picking up supplies I had them mix up some tint to color match the taillights.

The tint is a mixture of binder and the color code off the truck. The ratio is about 15:1 to its pretty translucent plus I thinned it a bit also.
    Then after testing the visibility I decided..why stop and tinting them? Why dip them in a clear/silver Carbon fiber?

Well I layed down some clear coat on it today. I will post some pics of it on the truck tomorrow or so...its humid here right now so I may allow the clear to harden up an extra day.

And for those of you have questions on if its legal....depends on your state. Arizona law ony requires your taillights to be visible from 500 ft...doesnt regulate whats covering them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tails.jpg   tails2.jpg  

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

That looks cool. Post some pics when you get them installed!!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

WOW, I really like that but, is it street legal? I thought they had to be red and black out had some kind of exception. Could you do in white?
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    WOW, I really like that but, is it street legal? I thought they had to be red and black out had some kind of exception. Could you do in white?
    They are legal in Arizona as long as the color of the light when illuminated is red. The lens color does not matter.

28-939. Signal lamps and devicesA. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.2. One or more lamps or a mechanical signal device that is capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and that is visible both from the front and rear.B. A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime. A signal lamp or lamps indicating the intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. If a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall:1. Be maintained at all times in good working condition.2. Not project a glaring or dazzling light.C. A mechanical signal device shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times provided in section 28-922.

I thought it was 500 ft but its only 100ft. So as long as you dont go to dark you should be good provided your state doesnt have any goofy restrictions. The carbon fiber film I used is clear with the silver CF design.

Here is how they turned out. The pic with the turn signal on doesnt do the illumination justice - its brighter than the pic.(last pic)

The first pic is with no lights on.

Second pic is parking lights only.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tails5.jpg   tails4.jpg   tails3.jpg  
    Last edited by sstoner911; 07-13-2012 at 05:43 PM.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

That's some nice work, sir.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

That is AWESOME! You sir, have an excellent looking truck.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

While I am neither an attorney nor an expert in various state vehicular laws, I've looked up tail light laws for several US states as I was considering blacking mine out at one point (and then decided it was overdone ... so I didn't do it). What I found was that states seemed to have a colour requirement on the brake lights (red) and might have a minimum visible distance for them (500ft) ... day or night.

I've not seen a minimum visible distance requirement that was less than 500 ft for any of the states I was looking at, so that might be a floor for the distance in the US? From a safety angle during the day (and also at night, but especially during the day) I know I wouldn't want the brake lights to NOT be visible at less than that distance, myself -- as that'd increase the chances of someone rear-ending me.

@sstoner911, have you checked the daytime distance at which those are clearly visible to an observer behind you -- using an unbiased third party as the judge? I'm not asking from a legal standpoint -- I'm asking from a personal safety of your ride standpoint. If not you might want to ... just to find out how far behind you they are, in fact, visible during high sunlight daytime activity ... so that you know how much or little wiggle room there is, behind you, in an emergency stopping type of situation.

Blog Entries

To each his own. Looks like a clean job, though!
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Awesome license plate haha
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    While I am neither an attorney nor an expert in various state vehicular laws, I've looked up tail light laws for several US states as I was considering blacking mine out at one point (and then decided it was overdone ... so I didn't do it). What I found was that states seemed to have a colour requirement on the brake lights (red) and might have a minimum visible distance for them (500ft) ... day or night.

I've not seen a minimum visible distance requirement that was less than 500 ft for any of the states I was looking at, so that might be a floor for the distance in the US? From a safety angle during the day (and also at night, but especially during the day) I know I wouldn't want the brake lights to NOT be visible at less than that distance, myself -- as that'd increase the chances of someone rear-ending me.

@sstoner911, have you checked the daytime distance at which those are clearly visible to an observer behind you -- using an unbiased third party as the judge? I'm not asking from a legal standpoint -- I'm asking from a personal safety of your ride standpoint. If not you might want to ... just to find out how far behind you they are, in fact, visible during high sunlight daytime activity ... so that you know how much or little wiggle room there is, behind you, in an emergency stopping type of situation.
    I had my wife go maybe 200 ft and she said it was visible during the day. This was after redoing the taillight one time. The first time I used 3 coats of tint and my wife was quick to tell me it was too dark. The second time I only put down 2 coats. It was much brighter the second time around. Believe me she would be the first to tell me if it was not visible.

I certainly dont want to be rear ended due to them being not visible enough - that only puts me and the other driver at risk.

As you can see I had "smoked" tails and I have never had any issues with them. However, the real test will be having a few cops behind me and seeing how they feel about.

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast