GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Winch size question.

I want to get a winch for my 02 silverado 4x4, but not sure what size winch would be the ideal for my truck. 2000 lb? 3000lb? If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I personally sized mine so that it could pull my truck out of things if it had max load on it ... and then added overhead so that I'd have some wiggle room if it were to get stuck while pulling my fully loaded truck out. Normally, for me, that would have meant a conservative formula of GVWR x2, however I then had to consider the largest winch I could put in the hidden winch carrier Warn makes ... and this sized me down to a 9.5xp (which is a 9500lb rated winch/line).

2,000 and 3,000 pound winches are more for 4 wheeles and side by sides

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    2,000 and 3,000 pound winches are more for 4 wheeles and side by sides
    Yup. This is correct...

A general rule of thumb to follow is at least 1.5xGVWR and ideally it would be 2xGVWR.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

Like Bulldog posted general rule of thumb is 1.5 xGVWR or better most serious off-roaders will tell you anything less than a 9500 on a full size truck is a waste of a winch.
    2000 or 3000 would make a great winch for a utility trailer where most times you have a rolling item or as stated for ATV's, not big enough for even a Suzuki Samurai in the woods though.
    When you buy your winch dont forget to get a good assortment of snatch blocks, straps, clevis hooks, and tree savers, with out the accessories a winch is almost worthless. A good snatch block can double your line pull if used properly. Also make sure you secure the winch to the frame real well, I've seen more than 1 winch pull a weak bumper right off.
    When buying a winch look at specs like line speed, continuous amp draw, duty cycle, chances are if you get into a situation where you need a winch you may need it more than once in a short time and you really dont want to sit around waiting for the battery to charge or the winch to cool.
    Theres a lot of cheap winch's on the market, spend the money for a decent brand with a good reputation, I've seen more than one wheeler having to constantly rebuild his winch everytime he wants to use it.
    Ramsey, Superwinch, Warn, these are the names you want to look for, dont be fooled by the cheap disposable low priced Chineese junk that will fail everytime you need to use it.