GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default A/C clutch replacement.

Update
    I replaced the tension-er, and watched it run. The tensioner was bouncing quite a bit, that is why the other one broke so I imagine the life of this one is limited. At a certain RPMs 1500~2000 it really rattles.

I have read the forums and have utilized the advice given there. Here is the short story, I have a 2001 Suburban 2500 145,000 miles. I started hearing a scraping noise from the right front of the vehicle at a certain RPM, and then it would go away. I thought it was the brakes but later on that day I broke the A/C belt on the road. I checked the compressor and it turned so I replaced the belt. It still made thae noise so I took it by a A/C shop and they said quickly with out looking at it was my compressor and it would be 1200 $ to replace. I figured it was working and I would do more research before paying that amount, and if it was I would replace it myself. A week later the belt broke again, and I replaced the tension-er with the belt. The next day the tension-er broke off the belt remained. I have read that a bad clutch will cause the pulley to catch. It cools fine, the compressor cycles as it should. I feel I would save money by changing the clutch assembly. Thoughts ?
    Last edited by buzzkutt; 07-05-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added info

Sr. Engineer

Check out this you tube video . Don't know what parts are gonna cost but if you have the ability to replace a compressor and recharge the system then I would probably tackle a clutch.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Jr. Apprentice

It broke another belt. Other than that it works great, but I cannot keep replacing the belt. I dont have the resources to recycle and recharge the system. But I am hany enough to replace the parts. If I replaced all the parts compressor, 2 accumulators and orfice ( $285.00 ). I got a quote from a mechanic and he said he would do it for 200.00 minus the parts. I just can't get over I would be replacing good parts. And its awful hot here in SC.

Sr. Engineer

If you do have to crack the line, then you should do a full replacement of orifice tube, accumulator, compressor and rings. Better safe than sorry.
    Condensor may not be a bad idea also.....but if he looks in decent shape, then you can get by.

You can always see if there is a place near by that rents the vaccuum to put one in the system once you replace the parts....
    But I know most shops will not just put a vaccum in the system for a cheap price, they charge you full price.
    That is why I bought my own vaccuum.