GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Question dust in cluster??

I was looking at my gauges and noticed it needs to be cleaned lol, i didnt think it could get dirty in there! how would one get in there to clean it? If i do go to do it can i change out the cluster for a different one, like a different design or something shiny lol
    2004 Chevy Silverado z71, second owner

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT, yellow, Hard top (yup its a GT):glasses:

You can pop the instrument bezel off and you unscrew the cluster and take it out. Takes a 7mm socket. When you get it out will see a way to pop the top plastic off and clean it. I haven't done mine in a while so some details might be missing from memory. Hopefully someone will fill in the gaps

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

when i detail for the lot i usually just use water from a spray bottle (dont drown it) and use your air compressor to blow it out. any excess i use a regular old degreaser and a dirty shammy to wipe down and a tiny screw driver to get the stuff out of the cracks.
    Silver 2012 Chevy Silveradeaux 4x4 "All-Star" edition
    -2 inch daystar leveling kit, and took the ugly 4x4 stickers off, window tint (to match rear), GM factory bedliner, sylvania silverstar ultra low beams. -To come: Topper (A.R.E. z series, or Bestop), Eagle alloy 050 wheels with toyo open country m/t tires (33"), maglite and bracket, possibly removing side badges, old school black z71 stickers.

only way is to take the dash cover off, then the clear plastic.
    a good time to polish the clear lense part with something mild, like toothpaste and a lot of water.
    use a soft paint brush to clean guages and around the needles
    taaa-daaa!!!
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Sr. Apprentice

The best method for removing dust from the plastic without scratching it is to use a Swiffer Duster. it differs in that it attracts and holds the dust, while putting almost no pressure on the plastic. After removing the slightly abrasive dust, then you can use liquid or aerosol products to complete the clean-up process