GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Hood scoop ~ for Silverado - found at Junk Yard

I really liked the look with this junk yard find hood scoop on the truck but my problem is that it does not have a wind screen to keep air from blowing in it & blowing it off since its nonfunctional. & also the underside of the scoop is not flat enough to use double sided tape. I do have some emblem adhesive but it does make a mess sometimes. Any suggestions? Othr than waiting for funding for a real ram air hood ;)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intimidating.JPG 
Views:	862 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	41919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scooped.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	41920

Name:	scooped2.JPG 
Views:	364 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	41921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scooped3.JPG 
Views:	549 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	41922
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

SCREW IT!!!!!! On that is from the bottom..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Didn't really want to drill holes in my hood but really that may be the only option that will make this scoop work & not blow off.... again. If I drill holes in the hood I might as well cut an opening also not really for ram air since its not going to the air intake but to keep engine bay cooler & wetter & dirtier lol ok maybe not on cutting the hole

Legend

can you post up a pic of the underside of the scoop?

I would agree with screwing it on from the underside of the hood. I would also avoid cutting a vent in the hood and would, instead, use a CAI with a fender or front fascia scoop if you're hell-bent on trying to get lower temp air into the intake. After all, resonant supercharging effects from ram air and/or cowl induction hoods are only small hp boosts, at best ... and manifest at WOT. This is why it's largely racing vehicles that bother, as it's a small, 'free' boost on a vehicle that sees WOT a lot.

Surreal

P.S. CAI benefits realistically manifest only at WOT, as well. Thus, CAI's end up being largely for under hood looks and under normal driving conditions only impact how the vehicle sounds. Put another way, a CAI is a crappy investment and should probably only be bought for looks/sound unless you're at WOT a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    can you post up a pic of the underside of the scoop?
    You know that probably would have helped out in getting suggestions.

Name:	scoopdetail.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	41925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scoopscreenmount.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	41926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scoopunder.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	41927
    One thing I can think of is sanding / cutting the edge of the scoop level with that tab as shown in first picture. But wouldn't have to worry about that if I go with the bolt on idea. So tell me more about that bolt on plan Like how to align everything what would be the best way to do it? The grille screen would not be hard to mount since the scoop has a place to mount one just finding something to use for it. It did have the big honeycomb plastic piece that wasn't not open.

Surrealone I used to be blinded about the CAI til about last year when I found out what you had mentioned. So these days I've scrapped about any idea for the air intake except I should get a good quality filter. & I doubt this little 4.8 would gain a whole lot.

Legend

You can mount some thin wood Slats on the inside of the scoop and screw up into that..

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    P.S. CAI benefits realistically manifest only at WOT, as well. Thus, CAI's end up being largely for under hood looks and under normal driving conditions only impact how the vehicle sounds. Put another way, a CAI is a crappy investment and should probably only be bought for looks/sound unless you're at WOT a lot.
    Finally, someone with the same opinion as mine.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Finally, someone with the same opinion as mine.
    Actually it's a bit more than opinion. I did a data log of air temps with my Diablosport Predator using first my Outlaw CAI (which is no longer made, btw) and then the stock air box. What was the delta? Roughly ~3 degrees F (to the nearest degree, on average). How much difference does ~3 degrees F make during normal driving? Not enough for a human to notice. How much difference does ~3 degrees F make while at WOT and the engine is gulping as much air as it can consume (and, thus, the slightly increased air density might matter)? Enough for a computer to measure a slight HP increase but still not enough for a human to realistically notice...

I'm surprised it was even 3 degrees. The air comes in through the same hole in the front of the truck.

There is probably a noticeable improvement with an old truck/car that used the round filter can on the top of the carb.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by