GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Can I remove catalytic coverter in 1988 1Ton

Seeing I only have safety inspection, I just really do not know if it will have a negative impact on truck performace or MPG ? And I cannot afford new one I am really broke, A hundred dollars is like a million right now so no reply's on cheap hundred dollar cat's please. thank you

Sr. Engineer

welcome to the forum. Why are you considering replacing it? If it is clogged or otherwise defective then I could only imagine your performance and mpg would only improve. Converters bring good money at the salvage yards and even more at metal recyclers. I say remove it and sell it, problem solved and some cash in the pocket.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

It is illegal, so you didn't hear it here, hehe; I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.

The O2 sensor(s) in front of the cat will continue to do their thing, the rear O2 sensor might complain and throw a code (the rear sensor is only there to monitor the condition of the cat). In fact, in '88 there may not be a rear sensor, if it's a one ton, there may not be a sensor.

At any rate, if you have one and if it causes the pcm to throw a code, come back, I can find a fix for the code.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Regardless of whether your state has emissions testing or not, it is illegal to remove a catalytic converter from a vehicle. That's federal law. And to be completely honest, anymore, it's completely pointless to run without a cat unless you're pushing 6-800 hp or more. Modern cats are not very restrictive at all and will NOT hurt your performance unless, like I said, you're using a race motor and pushing very high levels of power. Most of those aren't streetable anyway. If you're just removing it to remove it, don't. The "butt dyno" won't register a thing, nor will the fuel mileage change. A simple tuneup will do FAR more for your performance and fuel mileage than removing the cat ever will.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."