GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98 Silverado engine and tranny

So about 6 months ago my step kid brought home a fixeruppper. He bought it from his employer for 500 bucks with the intent of fixingit up. Well it looks like this project is going to be a little more than somebody work and paint. Like I originally thought. We took it for a spin it ran okbut felt like it lacked a bit of power and the tranny felt like it wasslipping. Got it back home. It has the original engine and tranny with 300kmiles on it. It’s leaking everything. I believe this engine either needs to berebuilt or replaced as well as the tranny. The kid wants to "do itright" and does not care if it takes him a few years to get it on theroad. So I think we are going to replace the entire drive train front to back.I explained to him he is going to put way more money into it than its worth. Hesays he knows and is not planning on selling it. Would we be better off havingthis engine rebuilt, buying a long block and replacing things such as thestarter as needed or buying a turnkey engine? What about the tranny? Rebuild orbuy new? The truck has a 5.7 and he is not intrested in hopping it up he justwants to have a nice truck!
    Last edited by chevytrucknutzo; 07-15-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Keep an eye out on craigslist. You can even set up searches so you're notified when something is posted. I lot of people sell parts from vehicles that are totaled and you can occasionally find items that have recently been rebuilt. Let someone else's loss be your gain. I just bought a factory rebuilt transfer case for $500 cash- saved me $400-$600 and I know it will last for as long as I have the car. If you have the time to patient, keep checking the ads. You can even set up searches for multiple areas within a certain radius of where you live.
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

Yep Craigslist may be your best friend here, if you watch close enough you might be able to score a running pull out from a wrecked truck thats cheap enough.
    Also look locally at shops advertising remanufactured engines and trans, I think with some careful shopping and a little patience you could get the eng/trans for less than a $1000 if you guys do the labor.
    Rebuilding an engine now days normally runs more than a remanned engine.
    You will have to use your accessories. This is the perfect chance to help him learn and keep him busy.

What these guys said ^^

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011: