GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need Help with Wheel/Tire Size??

I have a 2012 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the Z71 package. I'm wondering if anyone knows the largest tire size I could put on my truck? I want to eventually get new rims and tires, so I need to figure out how much to save up. I want to go as large as possible without having to lift the truck body or suspension. Thanks for any info!

Also, I was considering doing a leveling kit, and someone told me that could blow out the universal joint since the front of the truck would be at a different angle, anyone know if that's correct?

You might want to relocate this thread to Lifted & Off Road suspension or Wheels and Tires subcategory to reach a wider array of users. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    You might want to relocate this thread to Lifted & Off Road suspension or Wheels and Tires subcategory to reach a wider array of users. Good luck.
    Good call, thanks!

***Thread Moved***
    To
    Wheel and Tire Section

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I would say go ahead with the level kit. I as well as many others on this forum have a level kit and haven't had any issues. With any mod you MAY see increased wear on parts. But I have had my level kit on for over a year with no issues. I am hoping to get a new set of tires in the coming months. When I do I am looking into something in the 33x12.5 range. I plan on keeping my stock rims which are 18's so that limits my tire selection a bit. There is a lifted/leveled thread on here that can give you the many different options that are out there. Good luck and post pics when you make the change.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Legend

You can just step up to a 285 (32.8" tall) tire and be just fine with clearence and no lift or level
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I'll probably stick with the 18" rims and go to the bigger tire size suggested above. As far as leveling, the rancho loaded quick lift level kit seems to be pretty straight forward and doesn't cost a ton. I'm going to go talk to the dealer I bought the truck at to make sure they won't void my warranty or something if I do that level kit. Thanks for the help guys!

Take a look at this thread: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz20uytNxES

May answer some of your questions.

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."