GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: driveing in 4wd

Cool driveing in 4wd

hi i have a 95 tahoe how fast can i drive the truck in 4wd thanks

I would say no faster than 20mph or so... Why do you want to drive fast in 4wd? It also depends on whether you're in 4wd hi or 4wd lo. Low has a max speed of like 5-7mph I want to say. I also want to say that high is up to 15-20mph. Hope this helps. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

In 4hi, you can safely go up to the speed limit, about 55 or so. I've driven my Suburban, '04 2500 with 8.1, up to 65 before on the interstate, I didn't realize it was still in Auto mode, but it was fine, even though it made a whine. Some diesel guys run the 1/4 in 4wd, and they get up to 85-100 mph. I wouldn't recommend sustained use of 4wd on the highway, but it can be done. The manuals say you can shift on the fly up to about 45 or so. And I've done that.

As far as 4low, I guess you can go as fast as your rpms will allow. I've gone about 27 mph in mine, taching about 3500-3700 I think, in OD. LOL Again, just testing it out, but I'd limit 4 low to about 10-15 mph.
    2004 Suburban 2500 4x4 - 8100, 4.10s - DD
    1970 Camaro - 406/TH350 - street/strip - my 11 oh weekend toy

There are no real mechanical limits (as far as the drivetrain is concerned) to how fast you can go in 4H. However, 4H should only be used when conditions allow the wheels to slip to prevent drivetrain windup and possible parts breakage. If conditions are good enough that you can safely drive 50,60, 70+ mph, then you probably shouldn't be in 4H. If conditions are bad enough to safely use 4H, then you should be very judicious in how fast you are going. Remember that 4wd doesn't do anything as far as stopping ability (all cars have 4w brakes), and does next to nothing as far as turning ability. In summary, the top speed in 4H is limited to a safe speed for the road conditions.

In 4L, your top speed will be limited by engine redline or whatever you feel cofortable running the engine up to. I frequently run up to ~30 mph in 4L when I don't want to have to constantly shift back and forth from 4H to 4L.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I don't know how many times I've seen people in off the road in the snow and the first thing they say is "I don't know what happened I was in 4 wheel drive". You were also doing 40 and tried to hit the brakes at the last second.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

I got to agree with Mr. Shorty and Dan on this on, sure you can drive fairly fast in 4 H but if the conditions need 4 wheel drive you shouldn’t be driving any faster than the conditions allow.

I love the “I got me a 4 wheel drive, I can do 60 in the snow.” mentality, especially when I have to pull them out of the ditch a few miles down the road.
    Last edited by 84fiero123; 12-14-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: can't spell

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

I have been driving 4X4's since 1957, I got rid of my last one three years ago. I have seen a ton of improvements in drive train, handling, rubber and power! But the fact remains the do not stop any faster of skid any less then they did before! Be careful experimenting with how fast they will go chit happens fast!
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

i would say if you are on dry or good traction surface than do not use 4 wheel drive. the front and rear gears are close in ratio but they are different and great traction will break the weakest link. if there is snow or sand or poor traction then 4 wheel would be fine. i say if you are above 20 MPH most of the run then 4 high if slow crawling then 4 low. we got our tree this week and there was mud everywhere i crawled around in 4 low then on the way out i hit 4 high and tossed some mud on the trails in the tree farm (we were the only people minus the workers and they said hit it).....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well