GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Truck Acts Like Its In 4Hi Sometimes

Last night I was with my girl and going to eat out and I missed the restaurant turn. Made a U-turn but noticed that when I turned almost all the way and started going it felt like my truck was stuck in 4x4 (started skipping like it should on pavement). When I noticed it, I turned into the restaurant and clicked it into 4Hi, let it shift into 4Hi and then shifted back into 2Hi while rolling in neutral about 5MPH. I heard the transfer case and front acuator shift out of 4Hi and back into 2Hi. But thing is, when I tried to replicate it, it only has done it once when I pulled back into my driveway when getting home. When I jacked it up off of all 4s, only the rear 2 turn in 2Hi (normal duh), and all 4 turn in 4Hi (also normal duh) and when I shift it out of 4Hi and back into 2Hi, the rear 2 turn (again, normal)

This is one more thing in a list of problems with the truck and I'm just about up to here (holds hand level with eyes) with it. She only has almost 243,000 miles. The other day I did uncrank my torsion bars a little so the ride is a little better and I never noitced it before I did it.

The list:
    Transfer case noise
    Harder than normal shifts
    Total front end rebuild
    A/C belt tensioner replacement
    Door switch replace
    Brake overhaul

So, What could be the possible cause for this? It wasn't shifted into 4 anytime this month.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Short somewhere (after the 4WD control buttons) that went to ground ... resulting in a change into 4Hi without the button/LED registering it? If you think that's possible, note that it could be the 4Lo or 4Hi wires, as trying to go into 4Lo will, I believe, engage 4Hi, instead, as a fallback if the truck isn't in neutral when it's tried? Just brainstorming aloud, here...

Water is a big problem with transfer case electrics. Check the wiring connections for corrosion.

From your list of repairs, I'd say the previous owner did not do proper maintenance on the vehicle.

Keeping the transfer case (as well as the front and rear diffs) fluid changed is as important as changing the engine oil. Change the transfer case fluid, that might help.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Water is a big problem with transfer case electrics. Check the wiring connections for corrosion.

From your list of repairs, I'd say the previous owner did not do proper maintenance on the vehicle.

Keeping the transfer case (as well as the front and rear diffs) fluid changed is as important as changing the engine oil. Change the transfer case fluid, that might help.
    Sir you are correct.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment

Yea your problem sounds a lot like a short, check the connections and motors for loose wires or weak connections, corrosion on the connections could be a problem too.

I know youre talking in another post about buying a new truck since your going in the Navy soon, If I may recommend keep this truck running as long as you can, odds are after you join the Navy your gonna deploy within the first 18 months of joining, while your deployed save save save, as much as you possibly can, when you come back from deployment buy a new truck.
    And truthfully it wont make much sense to bring your truck to where you are until you get to your permanent duty station. During your service school everything you need will be near by and you'll be required to live in the barracks, at your first duty station for the first few months they'll want you to stay aboard the ship or in the barracks on base where again everything you need will be nearby. For a Sailor having a vehicle in the first year of active duty is normally more of a problem than a help, you really would be best off to leave it at home for a while and save $$.
    Also the odds are you'll be stationed in San Diego or Norfolk, possibly a smaller base somewhere else but either way dont buy your new truck near the base, go back to La. to buy, I dont care how much the local businesses say "We Support our troops" what they really support is any way to get our troops $$ in their bank account at inflated prices and inflated interest rates. Almost every new car dealer will give you a military discount, the problem with buisnesses near military bases is if they know your rank they know your salary, and with that knowledge they will try to get your payment to the very last penny they can squeeze you out of, doesnt matter how much you put down, they will make it work to their favor, these places prey on young inexperienced military members to provide their profit, been happening for years and isnt gonna change anytime soon.
    During my years in the Navy I saw many young guys buy new vehicles prior to deployment, they buy local to the base and end up paying more and to top things off pay interest on money they didnt need to borrow if they had just waited until returning to buy a vehicle that they left sitting at the pier for 6 months or more in some cases. If you were to save $600 a month for 6 months thats $3600 for a down payment that you dont have to pay interest on, the reality is if you dont leave an apartment behind or a new car payment or any of the other many ways Sailors find to spend their money on you could save over $1000 a month since you dont have to pay rent, electricity, water, etc. minimizing your expenses prior to deployment is one of the best ways to get a great headstart on buying an affordable new vehicle, I've seen guys deploy and save enough during deployment to almost payoff their new vehicles, it takes discipline, and in the end it's worth the effort spent.

Yeah @tbplus10 my brother told me the same thing about waiting to buy.

Anyway I haven't had a chance to crawl under Coors "Megatron" Light (that is her name) yet as it started raining quite alot. Will probably get under her tomorrow if I have a chance. She didn't lock up yet or if at all as it could have just been my imagination but at this point I'm not sure.

Current:
    Future:

Good point tbplus, I got one of my daytonas and one of my hardtop cobras from a impound lot that was soldiers who went in bought sweet rides and realized how screwed the got on payments n lost them. I hate that they did that to the men and women who keep us safe, the deserve a bullet
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod