GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need a twin turbo system for my 2004 chevy silverado 1500!

I have a 2004 chevy silverado 1500 that i am upgrading to the 5.3l engine because it has a high milage 4.8l in it but i want the 5.3l, anyway i am in need of a good twin turbo system or a good single turbo system that is reliable and is mounted in the engine compartment (NOT REMOTE MOUNTED!!!).

People turbocharge our trucks? Diesels, sure, but gassers? I had no idea...

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I think you should read this... http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz217LzFSfE you may like it IF you have the Funds....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I was going to recommend supercharging it. Better torque curve and the supercharger whine is music to my ears
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    I think you should read this... http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz217LzFSfE you may like it IF you have the Funds....
    Wow, that's slick. It's also way out of my league, pricewise, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    I was going to recommend supercharging it. Better torque curve and the supercharger whine is music to my ears
    I gotta agree, Superchargers just come off the line with a better power curve.
    Also Supercharger or Turbo I dont think the 5.3 would be my engine of choice, either type of forced induction is gonna be hard on the engine, I know the aluminium block 5.3 wouldnt hold up for long, and while the cast 5.3 is a little stronger I would be nervous unless I had a block with 4 bolt mains, thats a lotta horses to unleash and things could get ugly under the hood real quick.

Default my thoughts exactly

I kind of miss my pro-charged 2004 Mach1. I totaled it in Feb 2010 and used the insurance to buy my 2007 Silverado. So I have been looking at Vortech, Whipple and some other options. The MOD situation for these trucks aren't as abundant as for Mustangs and considering all you need to do to them, it is probably just a pipe dream anyway. You know, fuel pump upgrade, injector upgrade, differental upgrade, exhaust upgrade... the blower and intercooler kit and possibly a transmission upgrade soon thereafter. Nice dream though. I was looking to see if anyone has done that sort of thing with the 4.8 but haven't seen much said about it. I have a great speed shop here so I may just pop by and get their take on all of it. Gas milage would be horrific with all of that done though.

mark

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

You all forget If your going to UP the power DO NOT forget things like Breaks, Sway bars, and anything else that would make your drive more enjoyable and safe...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Look into kenne bell for silverados. They have most everything you need,then beef up the tranny. The great thing bout a supercharger is if you lay off the boost you'll get pretty solid mpg. Don't go centrifugal it's a waste of money when you can get way more power out of a roots style supercharger, ie kenne bell and whipple
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I gotta agree, Superchargers just come off the line with a better power curve.
    Also Supercharger or Turbo I dont think the 5.3 would be my engine of choice, either type of forced induction is gonna be hard on the engine, I know the aluminium block 5.3 wouldnt hold up for long, and while the cast 5.3 is a little stronger I would be nervous unless I had a block with 4 bolt mains, thats a lotta horses to unleash and things could get ugly under the hood real quick.
    Eh? The blocks can take it, no problem, whether it's the aluminum or iron block. The issues with boosting an LS are mostly pistons, rings, rods, and AFM/DoD if equipped. All the LS blocks are 6 bolt mains.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast