GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question NEWBIE Car Stereo Install on a 2009 Silverado, Crew Cab with Bose Audio

As the subject states I’m interested in installing a car stereo system in a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado, Crew Cab, 5.3 L with Bose Audio System. I’ve never installed a car stereo system. However, I am handy and I’m confident I possess enough knowledge and tools to achieve my goal. I would like to keep my factory ‘sounds,’ i.e. door chimes, turn signal, etc. In addition, I would like to keep my Sirius XM and Onstar active. I have decided on a head unit, the Kenwood DNX7190HD. At the minimum I would like to add two 10” subwoofers and an amplifier. I’m indecisive as to whether or not I should replace my factory installed Bose Speakers. Please provide me with input. Anyhow, below is a parts list based on the research I’ve done thus far. I don’t intend to sound arrogant, but money isn’t an issue. I would like to purchased quality materials and conduct a clean install. Please provide me suggestions for the subwoofers and amp. Any direction provided would be appreciated.

1. Head Unit – Kenwood DNX7190HD - http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Navigation/DNX7190HD

2. Box for Subs and Amp -
    http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Silverado-Sierra-Crew-Cab/07-Up-New-Body-Style-GM-Crew-Cab-Dual-Downfire-With-Amp-Space.html

3. Subs, Other Speakers & Amp – Unknown at the moment.

Current Speakers are:
    Front 1, Size – 6.5, Depth – 5
    Front Tweeters, Size - .75, Depth – 1
    Rear 1, Size – 6.5, Depth – 5

4. Metra 95-3305 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for 2006-up Chevrolet Vehicles

5. Sirius SXV200 SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner - XM Satellite Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver SXV200V1 - http://www.buy.com/prod/sirius-sxv200-siriusxm-connect-vehicle-tuner-xm-satellite-radio-sirius/230390019.html

6. Kenwood CMOS-200 – 22915 (Rear View Camera) -
    http://www.buy.com/prod/kenwood-cmos-200/219503823.html

7. Metra GMOS-LAN-02 06-up Gm Lan Harness Accs W/onstar + Amp
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-GMOS-LAN-02-06-up-Gm-Lan-Harness-Accs-W-onstar-Amp-/260941040183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc14c 4a37

8. Kenwood Parking Brake Bypass Override – Please provide input on which brand to purchase. Currently, I'm considering this on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-PARK...item256e0b962f

9. Steering Wheel Controls – At this moment I do not have any audio controls on my steering wheel. I’ve considered adding them, however from past research it would be ideal to replace the steering wheel with one that has audio controls rather than buying buttons and having to deal with customizing the steering wheel wiring harness.

10. Wiring – Please provide input here.
    Last edited by cjt28; 07-20-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well looks like you have all the Bases covered.. Good head unit , nice sub box and all the wires you need.. If you have the same Bose system that I have in my 08 Avalanche the Speakers are not that bad for rock,pop, jazz at a good Valume. If you want to Pump it up all the time then I would look into better speakers and a amp for them.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

@Enke -Yeah I'm really thinking I should replace all the speakers. Not sure on which brand however. What's the best brand out there? I was thinking I should maybe match the head unit and buy Kenwood.

Legend

What do you listen to? How loud? Kenwoods higher end are nice but there are better and are you going to Amp them? Where are you?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Rap, hip hop, 70s & 80s genre, live music. And I am looking to buy an amp. I'm in Louisiana. I'm not looking to have the loudest boom. However I do like my bass. Same can be said about the highs too. If anything, I want to upgrade from the Bose speakers that are factory installed.

Legend

For a speaker that will take abuse and all types of music JL Audio will get it done if installed right with a GOOD clean amp. The C5's will be fine for ya. Also you can look at the Focal K2's.. What subs will be in the box? To save on room there are a few 5 Ch amps you can go with.

Anyway gotta get to work Will check back later.....

X2 JL Audio...

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Thanks for the help. I did my research thoroughly yesterday for over 8 hours and I've decided to go with a JL Speaker setup including a JL HD900/5 amp and JL stealthbox. HU will be the Kenwood DNX9990HD with several add-ons.

Just trying to decide now if I should replace my steering wheel with the type that has audio controls as my current wheel does not.

Legend

It will be a very nice set up if installed and set up right....I want to hear it in NJ......

Good news. I've made the bulk of my purchases. Only thing left to do is wait till the items arrive in the mail. If anyone is interested, I'll post a parts list with prices and the vendors I purchased from.

I'm still researching the steering wheel issue however. Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to confirm if I can purchase a brand new steering wheel with cruise and audio controls and replace my current wheel which is cruise button only via plug n' play. If it makes a difference, I currently have XM, a single CD player and FM/AM radio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast