GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Parking Brake Upgrade.......

Does anyone know if a aftermarket kit is available? I'm sick of not having a working parking brake !!!! For god's sake its a truck it's supposed to have a parking brake..... I know there are many of us running without one because we are tired of spending money on new shoes and cables for something that just doesn't hold up.

I've never had any problems with the factory one holding/working with everything adjusted properly....
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Even when it's properly adjusted if you use your brake everyday as I do (IE: Driveway is not flat) ......it doesn't last long enough in my opinion. I'm looking for a setup that doesn't require more than a pad or a shoe every time it needs fixing as these do.

I think the setup using rotors and disks at all 4 corners is the best way to go.

Using this setup, the rear rotor (called a top hat) has a a built in drum that is used only by the parking brake. There is a single shoe that is activated by the parking brake pedal.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I think the setup using rotors and disks at all 4 corners is the best way to go.

Using this setup, the rear rotor (called a top hat) has a a built in drum that is used only by the parking brake. There is a single shoe that is activated by the parking brake pedal.
    Your just stating the current setup which is not a good solution...... What is needed is a design change in where the rear brake caliper brake pad is also used as the parking brake thus eliminating the shoe completely. If it can be done on a car I see no reason why it can't be done with a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by My4xburbanrocks View Post
    Your just stating the current setup which is not a good solution.......
    OK, as you didn't provide any vehicle information, I assumed you had a burb with the rear drums and shoes. I use mine every time I stop and I don"t have any problems. My previous truck ('05 Envoy) which had 135,000, only required a shoe change once (around 130,000) and I think, I adjusted the shoes one other time.

Quote Originally Posted by My4xburbanrocks View Post
    What is needed is a design change in where the rear brake caliper brake pad is also used as the parking brake thus eliminating the shoe completely. If it can be done on a car I see no reason why it can't be done with a truck.
    Perhaps, this arrangement is obviously cheaper.