GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Header/Exhaust Feedback

Ok I have read the articles on long tube and short tube headers. I have decided on long tubes, the most bang for my buck I believe is going to be PaceSetter 70-2267's, would like to get kook's but don't have that kind of cash. When I do the header install I plan on changing my Cats out to Magnaflow 99006HM Universal Cat's. Where I need the feedback is on the whether I should install a Y pipe, run true dual out, run an X Pipe? When I start this project I am looking for the best sound and HP Gain. I know that vehicles require some back pressure and I don't want to do all this work and loose HP. I plan on doing most of the work myself except for the welds. Also, what else would anyone recommend as far as the exhaust, true dual or dual in and dual out exhaust?
    2007 Silverado LT Z71 Crew Cab w/Diablo Trinity
    2.5" Front leveling Kit, Removed 1" factory Rear Blocks, Installed 2.5" Blocks
    CSI CAI, Rugged Liner Tonneau Cover, EGR Bug Shield
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, Front Windows Tinted 30%
    275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (33's)
    Spec-D LED Taillights

Wanted - Gibson or Magnaflow Exhaust, Nerf Bars, Spyder Black LED Projector Headlights

id say just run the y-pipe you wont be pushing enough hP to notice the difference and it looks cleaner? im running long tubes with a y-pipe pushing 400 rwhp
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been very happy with a dual-in/dual-out solution from Magnaflow. One muffler distributes the pressures, and I found immediate differences in low end torque increases (positive) over the previous setup (which was basically straight piped with some crap-tastic glass-packs). It eliminated the need to decide on an X/Y setup, and has the added value of not crapping out on me when I buried the passenger side pipe in a hill during a mountain excursion. Flow just ported to the other side.

You're also likely to lose some low end torque with headers. Your high end HP will jump a bit (and the associated DYNO numbers), but be sure you're not doing it for "off the line" power. It may not be there if you don't have the back pressure to keep the exhaust gasses flowing properly out of the engine at the lower RPMs. It's always a tricky balance when adding headers... Me? I prefer the low end torque. I rarely drive constantly at the 4000+ RPM range, which is where the headers really shine.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

agreed, although the power gain was more likely due to the more free flowing muffler, but you will loose alittle low end with the long tubes but you can make up with it with gears or a stall. and then some and have it rip up top

long tube headers are the best for low end torque, it is a proven fact. they create a vacuum at the low rpm and help you get off the line.

The benefit of y or x- over pipe is to balance the back pressure on both sides of the engine.

Also... to fully reap the rewards of a performance exhaust you'll need a programmer or someone to tweak your PCM and TCM.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Legend
    Blog Entries

All good advice added above, only thing I can add is make sure you use some kind of locking header bolts to mount them to the engine. Unless you like tightening them all the time, mine have a 3/4" flange and I'm using Stage 8 locking bolts and haven't had to tighten them in the two years I've had them on.

Next week I am taking my truck to have the exhaust done, I am running Doug Thorley Tri Y long tubes, reducer into 3" pipe, magnaflow cats, "X" pipe, 2 SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers, side exit behind rear tires. 3" true duals all the way back, next will be close to 600hp so I'm planning ahead lol!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap