GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default filling up issues

it doesnt matter where i go to get fuel that damn pump pops off all the time, its nearly imposable to get gas in the truck, i have tried to hold it different ways and it doesent help!! what is going on? can i put a bigger pipe to the tank, i think its to small and restricting flow??any ideas???Thanks!
    2004 Chevy Silverado z71, second owner

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT, yellow, Hard top (yup its a GT):glasses:

Vent could be clogged up with something and not letting the air being displaced out therefore causing vapor lock (I THINK)

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I have the same problem on my Chevy, but not on my other vehicles.
    I've found if I stand on my head while singing the star spangled banner and wiggling my toe the tank doesnt get full any faster but people do stop to stare.

A few years ago I bought a device for my bike that looks like a can coozy without a bottom on it, it helps a lot getting the tank full on the bike, it was worse than the truck and there was a few times I had to go find another filling station it got so bad, I keep meaning to try it on the truck to see if it helps.

it could be the pump nozzle it self, i noticed when i loved to virginia I had that problem, in minnesota it was never an issue, but her it was in my old 05, and now in the 11 its not a issue at all.

i seem to recall we had a thread about that on here someplace, couldnt find it with the search tho.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I have the same problem on my Chevy, but not on my other vehicles.
    I've found if I stand on my head while singing the star spangled banner and wiggling my toe the tank doesnt get full any faster but people do stop to stare.

A few years ago I bought a device for my bike that looks like a can coozy without a bottom on it, it helps a lot getting the tank full on the bike, it was worse than the truck and there was a few times I had to go find another filling station it got so bad, I keep meaning to try it on the truck to see if it helps.
    I would enjoy watching you standing on your head singing Star Spangled Banner and wiggling toes, I just say "dang it "

On my 09 Silverado it's a pain in the rear, I have to readjust the pump at least 4-5 times in order for it to stay on. I found that by pulling it out a little normally works. My Tahoe does it occasionally but the Silverado is much worse!

2009 Chevy Silverado!

Blacked out tail lights + 3rd brake light
    l Tint: 35% front windows and Limo on the rest l Hard wired Valentine One radar detector l Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires with GM CK375 wheels l Hand welded receiver hitch l HID lighting l SMD lighting l Blacked out front and rear emblems l Cherry Bomb Extreme exhaust dumped l 2 Kenwood 12's powered by a Kenwood amp w/ an Base control l

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ---2012 Chevy Cruze
    ---

"Let's just agree that a perfect truck is hard to find, and we'll drive the Silverado till we find it." - Car and Driver

I have this problem also depending on the gas station/pump I am at and it is one of the most annoying things..... I want to get my gas and get out.... not having to take 1 hour for a 5-10 minute fill up would be nice. I has to do something with the back presure of air or something. I would love to get it fixed.

Pull the nozzle out a little till the pump quits clicking off and high pump speed will cause it to click off . Read some tips to fuel early or evening while cool, gas will be be dense and get more . Fill till pump stops wait a few seconds and pump till clicks off again tank will completey full

Ive heard the vent selonoid could be stuck in the closed position can cause this problem. Also if you notice when you remove your cap and have a LOT of pressure this is also a sign of a bad or slow vent selonoid. If the vent remains closed it does not allow the air to escape as your filling the tank. This is a common problem causing the cel to come on with an emissions code. It also has made my fuel gauge read incorrectly at times when mine went bad. Im awhare that there is a service bulletin on the early 2000's to relocate the vent selonoid because its located near the rear diff and can get clogged. I just replaced my selonoid on my 03' for $40 instead of getting the $120 relocation kit. I had to physically match one up though because my part number was superceded with the new relocation kit part number. I know my buddies 07' was already factory relocated so not sure what year they changed it.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by