GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 94 k1500 starting issues

Hello, I recently did a tappet cover gasket and thermostat gasket job on my 94 k1500. I had to disconnect the alternator an some ac lines in order to get the covers off. After the replacement and assemble, my truck seemed to be running fine. A few days later, it started to give me trouble when starting i.e. sounds like it is not getting enough air making it feel like its going to stall. The first start of the day would be rough, but the rest would be fine. It would turn over like it had no problems. I drove my daily driver for a day and went to drive my truck and it was completely dead, No lights, nothing. So I charged it up, and my truck would fire. It cranks, but just doesn't run. It feels like its going to start but it doesn't. I brought the battery in to get fully charged as well as had my alternator checked and it passed all of the tests. Anybody have any ideas?

Make extra sure you put the ground cables back on properly. There's a little one that goes to the thermostat housing, plus the main ground on the intake.

Here are the ground wires we had to disconnect. A buddy helped me so I'm not sure if these were the only wires we had to disconnect. The red one is the ground connected to my alternator, while the yellow one goes to my thermostat. Does it matter what how I connect them to the bolt, or is there a certain way?

The other pic is the ground that is on top of my intake. There is a bolt, then the ground, Ac bracket, then another bolt. Is there an order that these should be in?

I dont know much about engines or ground wiring's bit I am learning as something comes up.

Also, sorry about the pic size, I don't know how to re-size them otherwise I would have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image07232012183248.jpg   Image07232012183117.jpg  

Thought maybe it was no getting spark, so I changed all the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. Still nothing. On a positive note, I can now check tune-up off my list of things to do, lol

Got her running, Finally!

Like I said before, I thought it was a spark issues so I had a friend come over to help me with it (he has the tools that I don't). We tested for spark and compression and both were good. Compression was at 150 I believe and I was getting spark, but still no fire. I was getting fuel but it still wouldn't fire. I called another friend to try and figure it out and all he did was pour some gas in the throttle body and she fired right up.

So I think after trying to start it the last few days, it was just flooded.