GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry I don't know where to start..

OK, I kind of feel bad that recently I've only posted if I have a problem but that's because of how busy my summer has been. So well here's the problem(s) there's kinda a few.

First, this morning while driving to work my charging system warning light came on. At first I didn't notice the light until I glanced at the dash and saw it. After I saw it I did all the things you're supposed to do like turn off electronics, fans, and what not. But the truck fell fine, that is until I had to run out. Then the truck felt very sluggish and unhappy. It limped back to the office and a co-worker and I popped the hood to see if it was a mechanical issue. It wasn't but after one or two hammer blows to the old alternator the light shut off and quickly the truck sounded better idling. Yes I know what the issue is, its the alternator but I'm just wondering which brand is best for my truck and if I should get a higher amp for the replacement.

Next issue, I promise this will be a smaller explanation. I really need new shocks for the rear the truck currently is sitting about three inches lower than its factory stance, its really bad especially because the front isn't sagging at all. I'm just wondering what the best factory replacement shocks are and if it will help get the truck to its more aggressive looking factory stance.

Last statement, its not really an issue. I'm bringing the truck in for some preventive maintenance this week, a full transmission flush and fuel injection cleaning. I'm just wondering if it is worth the money and if tranny flushes really help out as much as advertised or do/can they cause harm?

Thanks for the help!

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

flushes are generally not a good idea, can move crud around and plug up things in in the tranny. a better idea is to drop the pan, dump the fluid, and do it again after a few hundred miles.

as to your shock question, bilstein and rancho are good. alternator is up to you, A/C delco is the obvious choice, the amperage is trickier, do plan on adding alot of power consuming items, or not, unless you do, the factory amps should be fine.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

This is not in defence of the flush but the shop says that the flush removes approx 95% of the old fluid, they then run a cleaning fluid through the whole tranny including the cooler, then fill the truck up with new fluid. They dont say if they replace the filter or not tho.

For the alternator since I plan on adding two aux cooling fans for the tranny cooler I'm adding I was thinking going bigger would be better. The fans draw about 10-11 amps together. But in the future I also intend to add in some weight distributing air shocks in the rear with a compressor not sure on the draw yet tho.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

AC Delco for the Alternator. Standard amperage is fine unless you have a lot of high current accessories installed.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I was planning on getting an AC Delco alternator, but unsure if the factory numbers will be enough if I'm going to be adding new accessories over time so that way I only have to spend the money once.

I would agree that the flush will get out the most fluid. But as @Sierraowner5.3 said you will be moving crap into places crap shouldn't be. I tend to lean toward dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid. Than you can see what kind and how much crap is in the bottom of your pan and not try to pull it through the passages in the tranny.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Where in Ct are you? If you are close to Milford Check out Dr Nicks Trans. Ask for Mark He will give you the right things to do and a Fair price.. I Very Knowageable and nice guy....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Well I happen to live in Milford actually, and I've never heard of Dr. Nicks Trans. I scheduled other services I need with Autoworks of Devon for Thursday if you know who they are. They are running a special this month for flushes and A/C tune up. So far they haven't failed me and are very nice.

The thing with tranny flushes are they are fine as long as you have been doing the recommended service intervals and recommendations. As the others stated it is only flushing out the fluids... if the filter filter is dirty and it has been along time you may want to drop the pan and replace the filter first.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Well I happen to live in Milford actually, and I've never heard of Dr. Nicks Trans. I scheduled other services I need with Autoworks of Devon for Thursday if you know who they are. They are running a special this month for flushes and A/C tune up. So far they haven't failed me and are very nice.

Here is a Link http://www.drnicks-milford.com/ Mark is one hell of a GM guy he is friends with Butch the guy Building a 9 Sec Avalanche.. He knows his stuff and I trust him Totaly...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast