GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Clunking/Grinding Noise from Front End

Hey everyone,
    So last week I had to do a three point turn which included backing up over a curve and up a steep hill about 5 or 6 feet. after I took off I heard a loud scraping, grinding noise under the cab...it lasted for a second or two then went away...two turns later it started again and lasted longer. I got out and nothing was dragging or loose so I kept going. Never heard it again until earlier this week it started randomly doing it. over the last two days it has gotten more and more frequent. It is mainly at low speeds. Now tonight after work it made the noise as soon as I pulled out of the parking spot and intermittently the whole drive home. about three turns before my house it started making noise when I turned. If I slow down to a crawl there is no noise but if I'm accelerating at all it sounds like something is about to fall apart. I've looked up a few solutions on the internet, but I can't find anything loose in the front end. I tried switching to 4WD to see if it would go away as was suggested by a few answers to similar problems I found. If anything it made it happen more frequently, even after switching back to 2WD. Anyone have any suggestions?
    -------------------------------------------------
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 4.8L Regular Cab

Hi, I had similar noises on my 2003 Envoy (Now my wife's after all issues were fixed lol) The sound I had sounded like a bag of nickels were dangling off the front axel. Turned out the hubs were shot so had them replaced along with most wearable parts except surprisingly the ball joints. I wanna say tie rod ends but memory is fading on this one. Best thing to do is go for an alignment at a reputable shop. Ask them what they see and likely you won't pay for the alignment since they can't perform one and they will tell you what needs fixing. I remember 2 yrs ago or so about 4K and I rebuilt the whole front end, 4 new biltstein shocks and all new brakes. This was at about 130K of driving in 4 yrs of nyc mostly (very tough on any vehicle)

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

I had no problems like that until I backed up that hill...I'm wondering if the extra weight on the front tires when i turned them stressed something more than normal.