GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Tires squealing when turning.

So as my tires are wearing a little more, I've noticed they like to screech a lot more when I make a hard, low speed turn. They usually only do this when turning from a dead stop or less than 10 mph (parking lot turns). I just have the stock Goodyear LS-2 275/55R20 on. They're the same tires from when I bought the wheels. I'm starting to feel like the tires may be a bit too wide for my truck to handle. I know there are a couple members on here with OEM take offs on trucks similar to mine. Do you guys do this?

I think when it comes time to purchase new tires, I will go down a couple sizes in height for performance.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

I had a 235/75/15 Uniroyal TigerPaw as a spare that did the same thing on my old 97. Never really figured out why though

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Mine are only a little off from yours (Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17) Mine do not make any noise unless I make them make noise.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Could be an alignment issue, could be castor or camber are off a little, or it could simply be that those tires got a little stickier as they got older and worn.
    An alignment check will delete the suspension from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Could be an alignment issue, could be castor or camber are off a little, or it could simply be that those tires got a little stickier as they got older and worn.
    An alignment check will delete the suspension from the equation.
    I was thinking that. They're wearing pretty evenly so I don't think I'm going to worry about getting it looked at. I think I'm just going to side with they got sticker.

If you havent already tried it rotate them, might help to get a little more mileage out of them.

I've got the exact same tires. Only 2,000 miles on them and they do it too. My 05 did the same thing on 17's, I never figured out why either.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    If you havent already tried it rotate them, might help to get a little more mileage out of them.
    Yeah, they've been rotated twice since I put them on the truck. They're wearing fairly even so I'm not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I've got the exact same tires. Only 2,000 miles on them and they do it too. My 05 did the same thing on 17's, I never figured out why either.
    It's good to hear I'm not the only one. I guess it's just the tread pattern of the LS-2 or something...?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    It's good to hear I'm not the only one. I guess it's just the tread pattern of the LS-2 or something...?
    I'm not sure. All of my front suspension seems fine. No alignment issues or anything at all. I'm switching to Nitto's in a couple of months when I get new wheels...so we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    So as my tires are wearing a little more, I've noticed they like to screech a lot more when I make a hard, low speed turn. They usually only do this when turning from a dead stop or less than 10 mph (parking lot turns). I just have the stock Goodyear LS-2 275/55R20 on. They're the same tires from when I bought the wheels. I'm starting to feel like the tires may be a bit too wide for my truck to handle. I know there are a couple members on here with OEM take offs on trucks similar to mine. Do you guys do this?

I think when it comes time to purchase new tires, I will go down a couple sizes in height for performance.
    I noticed tires screech with hot temps and on parking lots with coating/sealer

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by