GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need advice, thinking about buying a blown up differential

I'm looking to buy a truck that is local to me, and needs a good bit of work. I was hoping for some advice from you all.

The truck in question is a 95 Sierra Z71, 350. Looks decent enough, engine runs beautifully, and the tranny was replaced 40k ago (with paper work). The bad, is that the rear end locked up at some point and needs to be replaced. I went out to look at the truck, and was unsure of a few things. The drive shaft is detached from the rear end, and held up by bungee cords. The entire underside of the bed and frame are covered in gear oil, and the pinion shaft (not the housing) is pointing up at ~30. The drivers side rear tire is completely chewed up, and basically looks like it was spun until it was ready to fail. As near as I can tell, it looks like the diff failed catastrophically while the truck was in motion.

Here is my concern. I can't drive the truck before I buy it. I have no problem replacing a rear myself, but I'm concerned about the other stuff. The seller seems like a trustworthy guy, but I'm still skeptical. If a diff decides to grenade itself while moving, bad enough to suck the pinion back into the pumpkin, then there HAD to be a massive drive line shock that sent a huge force up into the transfer case... right? Is the transfer case and/or tranny shot? Should I buy it, replace the diff, and be happy? Or should I run like hell from this? Granted, it isn't that pretty, and certainly needs some work, but it runs beautifully, and it's cheap.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

if the damage is as you described I would assume that there is definately TC and transmission damage as well. Maybe see if you put the transmission in nuetral and spin the driveshaft to see if you can hear bad noises in either one. but like I said I would assume at least transfer case problems with it grenading. New driveline would be required too most likely
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

This one would have to be at the right price because you have to go into the purchase suspecting the T case and possibly trans need replacing, in addition to all the parts you can already see that need replacing.
    The diff is more than likely not rebuildable and with a shock like that I wouldnt count on the T case being rebuildable, I would think even if it does run after the first few miles your gonna find some cracks in the tailshaft.
    Most likely the drive shaft pulled out of the T case when the axle rolled and thats where the majority of your fluids came from under the truck. Why they tried to put it back in who knows. If the price is right it could be a score, otherwise!!!

Blog Entries

I really dont know much about the tc and diff but I'd say run like hell. I'm paying $1800 to have my trans fixed atm. when my diff was done I paid $350 for spider gears alone. Not sure how much time you got but remember time is money.

2000 Silverado, 4.8L, LS
    3" Dynomax cat back exhaust
    Drop-in K&N air filter
    200 amp Nations alternator
    KYB GR2 Shocks
    Bluetooth OBD2 adapter with Torque App on Samsung Note 2
    Custom Stereo System l Pioneer/ Boss door Speakers l 1200 watt Performance Teknique amp l 1 farad capacitor l 2 12" kicker comp subwoofers
    Slider rear window l Locking tailgate, de-baged l 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires l Fully synthetic oil l Tinted windows
    4l65e upgrades - five pinion planetaries l HD sun shell l high performance band