GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: IR Garage Mate?

Default IR Garage Mate?

Anybody ever use or have an opinion on the Ingersoll Rand 20 gallon Garage Mate? I'm wondering how well it will power a 1/2 inch impact wrench. My truck has 8 lugs the impact wrench I am looking at is just about 5 CFM @ 90psi average and the compressor is rated at 5.3 CFM @ 90 psi average. At load the impact wrench is 20+ CFM. Should I be able to remove all 8 lug nuts without having to wait for the compressor to pump back up? I know the tool will only be at full load for a short burst while breaking loose the nut then the air requirement drops quickly. I would buy a big 5hp 60-80 gallon two stage but I just donít have room in my one car garage. I also rent and am not planning on buying anytime soon, I don't want to deal with moving a 400-500lb compressor.

Thanks.

The IR Garage Mate should suffice for what you want, might have to break out the lug wrench once in a while on real hard to take off lugs but otherwise it should be good.

that will work fine. IR is good and 5.3 CFM @ 90 is pretty high for most of the DIY type garages. Thats similar to the output I have on my compressor and works fine. Sometimes when I have to sit and crank on something it will pump back up but normally works just fine. A 5 hp 50-60 gallon would be awesome to have in the garage but overkill for most home garages and way out of my price range.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member