GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Where to drill through the firewall

Hi guys,

This may be a stupid question but where can I run a power cable for my amp in my 2006 silverado z71. In my old truck they ran it through that electrical bundle next to the master cylinder but I can't get a wire through in the new truck. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

-1999 Silverado 1500 z71 Ext Cab - for sale

-2006 Silverado 1500 z71 Crew Cab

Here is what ya do! Lay under your dash on the drivers side. You'll see a module toward the back of your ebrake. There will be a cover on it. Remove the cover then remove the mod from its bracket. Next you will see a grommet about 1 1/2" in diameter with a tiny little harness going through it. This is where you want to poke through. To poke through it you have to first dig a piece of the rubber grommet out, stick a flat head screw driver in the grommet and dig out the round inner piece of the grommet. Now you're left with the grommet itself which is softer. Take a razor and just cut a little slit in the grommet, run a poker rod through the grommet, tape your wire on and pull the wire through. You can get massive wire through here so feeding an amp will be small potatoes. Any questions just ask!

Dont be afraid to put a little liquid dishwashing soap on the wires as you feed them through, when its wet it'll help the wire slide easier and when it dries it'll help seal any small gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Here is what ya do! Lay under your dash on the drivers side. You'll see a module toward the back of your ebrake. There will be a cover on it. Remove the cover then remove the mod from its bracket. Next you will see a grommet about 1 1/2" in diameter with a tiny little harness going through it. This is where you want to poke through. To poke through it you have to first dig a piece of the rubber grommet out, stick a flat head screw driver in the grommet and dig out the round inner piece of the grommet. Now you're left with the grommet itself which is softer. Take a razor and just cut a little slit in the grommet, run a poker rod through the grommet, tape your wire on and pull the wire through. You can get massive wire through here so feeding an amp will be small potatoes. Any questions just ask!
    I hate that rubber piece -- because it's super thick and hard to carve out a piece -- but it's exactly where I passed my amp wiring through the firewall, as well.

You remove that thick piece and throw it away. That's the trick

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    You remove that thick piece and throw it away. That's the trick
    Heh, I carved a new hole in it and continued to use it. Since you threw yours away what did you use to seal up the extra space in the grommet? I had considered doing that with expanding foam but was unconvinced about the water-tightness of the seal.

It's a double grommet. A removable thick piece and a permanent thinner piece. That hole stats sealed.

Thanks for the How to guide, it worked out great, my amp is all wired up! the thick rubber piece has a slit in it so its easy to put both wires in it without cutting it up.