GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalYates View Post
    I have been searching hard the past few months for a good buy on a good fishing/tubing boat... wanted to get one by next spring or summer sometime.

This thread is making me think twice about it. Boats have that much trouble huh? I knew they were just like anything else, but I didn't expect to see this many horror stories... geez...
    Dont use mine as an example, I've had 3 different engines and 2 different type outdrives, not because they needed to be replaced but because I wanted to tweak it for high performance, so some of my problems were brought on by myself. There's maintenance to do on a boat and like a czr if you dont keep up on it it'll catch up to you.
    Every year you have to change the oil, sometimes twice a year if you use it a lot.
    Every other year you should change the outdrive/gear box lube if equipped with an outdrive or V drive.
    Every two to three years you need to change the impeller, and as noted depending on the engine/outdrive technical difficulty can vary.
    Every year you need to lube/check the steering and throttle rigging (about a 30 minute job).
    If you have a fiberglass boat you need to wax it at least every year to keep the gel coat looking good and stop it from chalking up (I usually do mine twice a year, spring and fall).
    If you have wood on the boat you need to varnish at least every other year to keep it water proofed.

Probably the most time is spent prepping the boat for winter storage, fuel stabilizer, cleaning the bilges to prevent winter growth/mold, cleaning and treating seats/cloth to stop mold, winterizing the cooling system to prevent damage during any winter freezes.
    Winterizing a boat really determines how long it'll last, keep in mind most boats are run at full throttle almost all the time their used and that use is normally in the hottest weather of the year, then time their normally stored outside and never run and in most cases not even uncovered to dry out after storms.
    Yea theres some added expense and labor in keeping up a boat but they return some good times that make it all worth it when your out on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    Ive always had issues with my smaller Boats and sea doos and our bigger boats run forever.they are all fiber glass with larger motors just properly maintained, and yes they are used regularly my parents live on the water year round
    Hmm yes proper maintenance is key. Boats and their motors don't like the cold weather. Plus we never really have to winterize anything here on the gulf coast. Big boats and big motors here we always see in the shops because people like to full throttle everywhere which gives them ALOT of wear and tear. My uncle has a 98 Bullet with a 98 225 Merc, been in the shop twice. He doesn't go fast at all until he can visually see the launch and even then he only hits 65MPH

It seems smaller boats are the easiest to work on

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Yea We have a few boats in orange beach and they never have to worry boat winterizing. Two of me are outboards and are so easy and the others a 3 engine diesel. But the boats on hartwell have to be winterized every winter especially the Malibu the heater core will freeze up and crack. 300 dollar fix or you gotta just bypass it and not have heaters
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

So I received a rather interesting call from a fish and wildlife trooper this morning. Apparently my boats was recovered floating down the river unattended early this morning.

Not cool news to hear considering its a 21' hewescraft with a 330hp Kodiak 350 inboard and a fully loaded hull!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2963489458.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	42478

Tim,

Ive had the boat just about a year now, and can understand. I also agree with you that the time spent on them can make up for it in a hurry. We don't trailer, since it didn't come with one, but the slip is a big nut each year. We have a tough decision this year to keep it on slip or go to a mooring. I'm not happy about having to decide since the boat is all of 5 mins from the house now, but it's the reality. Hopefully after all that expenditure, you get to make up for it with some good times on the water.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Tim,

Ive had the boat just about a year now, and can understand. I also agree with you that the time spent on them can make up for it in a hurry. We don't trailer, since it didn't come with one, but the slip is a big nut each year. We have a tough decision this year to keep it on slip or go to a mooring. I'm not happy about having to decide since the boat is all of 5 mins from the house now, but it's the reality. Hopefully after all that expenditure, you get to make up for it with some good times on the water.
    I remember you asking about boats last year, what did you end up getting?
    Leaving the boat on the water is a real advantage, especially when it comes time to go have fun. I have a friend that owns a Marina 10 minutes from the house and he always tells me I can leave my boat there but lakes out here have a lot of algie in them and that would make for a big clean-up job at the end of the season. When I lived in Virginia we left both our boats in the water but with salt water we didnt seem to have issues growing things on the hull, we would get the hull scraped every other year and they stayed pretty clean like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I remember you asking about boats last year, what did you end up getting?
    Leaving the boat on the water is a real advantage, especially when it comes time to go have fun. I have a friend that owns a Marina 10 minutes from the house and he always tells me I can leave my boat there but lakes out here have a lot of algie in them and that would make for a big clean-up job at the end of the season. When I lived in Virginia we left both our boats in the water but with salt water we didnt seem to have issues growing things on the hull, we would get the hull scraped every other year and they stayed pretty clean like that.
    We got a SeaRay 2004 Sundancer 24 footer. I've been real pleased with the quality of the boat, and aside for some issues that we've had, no major problems...knock wood. We get barnacles and have to put bottom paint to keep it relatively clean. Even with that, the marina offers a mid-season pull and power wash to clean it, which I think we need given the sluggish performance the last time out. If I was running it more, it wouldn't be as bad, and the ablative paint helps keep stuff off. It doesn't help that I'm back working in the city this year and only have limited time to get out on the weekends. After all the aches and pains and money out of pocket, I wouldnt trade it for anything right now...except maybe a walk around. Tough to fish off the SD.

Just hanging out on the dock feels like a vacation, and 5 mins away from the dock and I'm on a different plane.

Back in 96/97 a friend of mine had a new SeaRay Sundancer, dont remember what size but I remember it was a nice boat. They pack a lot of amenities into that hull and while it isnt exactly like being at home when the waves are rocking you and your sitting back relaxing sometimes its much better.
    Theres some new anti fouling paints out that are guarranteed to keep 90% of the barnacles and growth off the hull, but like everything new the price is still extremely high.
    It may be tough to fish off of but it beats sitting on a dock or the shore fishing. If your dock is anything like most of them I've been on over the years it ends up being it's own little community with for the most part good friends and great neighbors.

We used she new stuff on the hulls of our salt water boats and they stay spotless I'll try in remember the name and repost but it's nice considering we have all white center consoles and a light blue enclosed bridged. The barnacles love them

So my boating season started like this.

First time out, bad fuel! Replaced both water/fuel filters.

Second time out (bear baiting season). Load the boat down, 1,000lbs. Of gear, myself, my dad and our friend. (I own a 21' 98 hewes craft with a 330hp Kodiak 350 inboard jet boat...she gets it on the water! I can haul close to 3,000lbs.). Boat won't get on step. Finally we give up, drive 7hrs back home, take apart the pump, impeller missing the leading edge of two impeller blades. Replace impeller (500 bones) and impeller sleeve.

Test run new impeller, coolant steam comin out of exhaust. I bring it to the dealer, tell them I think I have a blown head gasket. They tell me I'm wrong and order two new exhaust manifolds. Guess what, turns out it was a blown head gasket. 2 weeks later they get my boat fixed, I've now missed bear hunting season and memorial day weekend.

Take the boat out, 7 minutes into running it, put a rod through the engine block!!!! Two months later I get the boat back. After spending tons and tons of money, I have a bad carburetor now...700 bucks later I have a new carb but in the process the **** up my trailer bumpers.

Trailer goes off to the welding shop and the boat carb is currently getting fine tuned.

During the process of tuning my carb, the dealer goes home for the night, leaving the boat in the water for the night...not tied off very well. 6:30am the next day I get a call from the wild life troopers making sure I'm not dead as theyve found my boating floating down stream unattended.

Screw my summer!!!