GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Whipple Supercharger Kit

It's final, i'm going to bite the bullet and invest in the Whipple Supercharger. I've contacted Whipple, and they are going to be releasing a new kit in 60-90 days, here's the email i got back.

We are working on our new intercooled kit for the 99-02 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors. We are about 60-90 days away from releasing the kit.

You will pick up about 60-65% more HP and Torque. The kit will retail for $6299.99 plus freight

Dennis McInerney
    Whipple Superchargers
    Tel. 559-442-1261
    Fax 559-442-4153
    dennis@whipplesuperchargers.com
    So, what i'm asking is, with getting a supercharger on an engine with 128k miles on it. What will be needed? Rollers? Valve springs? What i am planning on doing is to get a Cam shaft, and new springs at the same time as the supercharger. Should i just go the whole nine yards and get new rollers, and new rocker arms?

I'm going to be getting the kit in a couple months, so i might as well start looking at what i'll need.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Personally if I was going to invest 7k+ into an engine I would rebuild EVERYTHING, do it right the first time and save more time and money down the road..keep us updated it sounds like its going to be a beast
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Buy a builder block,that way you can play right away and learn all the tuning on the o.e. block and get the most out of the built motor later

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Sr. Engineer

What is the difference between the new kit and the current kit, other than the intercooler? Seems pricey.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

As Jenna said that seems a little steep, the ATI kit was a little less power, but a good $1000 or so less.

And as the others said, if you're looking at doing a supercharger, *and* want to get best power out of it, I would also suggest spending $$ on your engine first. Either start with a good low mileage short block or from scratch, make sure you've got a good enough rotating assembly to handle the power.

Force induction benefits from larger cam built for forced induction, ported heads or higher flowing heads, roller rockers, intake manifold, headers, larger throttle body, larger injectors. Most of this stuff can be had for $4k or less, depending on deals, what all you replace, and how extreme you want to go.

Now if you were only going to do cam, springs and rockers, I'd probably save the money on cam/springs and just do the rockers, with a slightly higher ratio. Stock cams/springs should be able to handle next higher level rockers without bind. If you're worried about your springs change them too then. Without upgrading your heads/intake/exhaust you won't enough benefit from doing a cam swap to make it worthwhile. Roller Rockers are an easy bolt on though and worth doing for most any engine.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Would it be better for me to find a low mileage 6.0l? If i'm going to do an engine swap i might as well make it worth it eh? But here's what i'm thinking now. Being in a couple months, the prices of Duramax trucks are going to be a lot lower then they are now, all the 2011 vehicles are going to be coming out, killing resale on the older duramax trucks. I'm going to be needing a diesel for this winter, i'm just thinking about the money, i was planning on keeping this truck to be my toy, but money is money i'm sure everyone knows that. Having payments on a new duramax will hurt the wallet.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSilverStepside View Post
    Personally if I was going to invest 7k+ into an engine I would rebuild EVERYTHING, do it right the first time and save more time and money down the road..keep us updated it sounds like its going to be a beast
    X2 here for sure...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Rebuild the whole thing. That way you can beef up the bottom half and crank up the boost to 10lbs!!!!
    '00 Silverado 2500. Whipple charged 6.0L

50# injectors. TR6plugs. Nelson tune. Dual 3" exhaust [headman headers, X-pipe, magnaflow glasspacks] Torsion key and blocks lift

Make sure the block isn't aluminum and try and get a kenne bell and you can push it up to 13lbs or more. For sure you do a complete build and don't forget to get a bigger alterntor pulley so you dont over spin it
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Completely rebuild a 6.0 with 5.3 corvette heads+ beef up the bottom end+cam+rollers+springs+intake+good set of long tube headders+ and a whipple twin screw and my friend you will have the baddest z that you have ever seen. Did it to a friends and the front tires "40's" come 6in off the ground on takeoff.
    Super-Z

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by