GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Electric fan to replace mechanical

I want to free up some horses, gas millage, and space under the hood by getting rid of the mechanical fan.
    It sounds like commercial AC unit....

How have you done this?
    is there a model year chevy truck that i can find in a bone yard and scavenge that electric fan for a good fit?
    did you buy a kit? where and how much?

the truck is a 93 K/C with a manual. and i find it does run much smoother without the mechanical fan, which makes the transmission happier as well

thanks all!
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Google "Taurus fan swap", this seems to be the most popular E fan swap around due to the availability and ease of wiring. Theres plenty of aftermarket fans that will do a great job too.
    On my rock crawler I have a Comercial Diesel generator E fan, runs double the air flow of any automobile fans I could find and was pre wired for thermostat control and on/off which I use for water crossings to stop from drowning the engine. Crawlers do a lot of slow speed and idling and this fan does a great job keeping things cool.
    I was using 2 13" fans from a Geo Metro that did a good job but burnt out everytime they got wet.
    The only bolt in compatability will be either aftermarket or if your lucky enough to find a Chevy or GMC of that era that came factory with an E fan, otheriwse its all gonna depend on how well you can dream and fabricate.

oh yeah ive seen those before.
    well i do have a lincon mark8 electric fan hanging around right now... they say it pulls over 4000 CFM but it also draws about 40 amps... thats huge.

the most expencive part about using that fan will be the wiring harness and temp switch. ive always hard wired them with a togle switch in the cab.
    to make sure your warm up time in winter is quick as possible