GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Aiming Headlights

So, of course, from the factory they are aimed correctly (we hope)..... but over the years things happen..... old shocks caused the front end to dip, so I raised them, then replaced the front shocks and had to lower them, etc....

Then I had bumper damage and had to adjust them so they were level again, etc working on replacing the bumper, etc....

I have used a brick wall to get them level, I have also parked behind another car about 12 feet way and checked the level against a real car and not a wall....

The thing is our head lights have a up and down adjustment and a left and right adjustment.

What is the best way to get them lined up correctly again?

I have found that on really foggy days you can check them better because you can see the core (spot) in the center of the beam better and where they are directed.

I go into the garage at night against the bare wall and do it that way...i put a strip of blue tape on the wall where i want the top of the lights to hit and back the truck up so im out of the garage but the lights are right in the door way...i have my low beams on and adjust them just to the top of the light just hits the tape on both sides evenly,then i adjust the left and right just so i have no blank spots...i would go more into detail but i think its better to try it out and then you will understand it better...one of her uncles owns a auto body and thats how he does it(works quite well actually)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    So, of course, from the factory they are aimed correctly (we hope)..... but over the years things happen..... old shocks caused the front end to dip, so I raised them, then replaced the front shocks and had to lower them, etc....

Then I had bumper damage and had to adjust them so they were level again, etc working on replacing the bumper, etc....

I have used a brick wall to get them level, I have also parked behind another car about 12 feet way and checked the level against a real car and not a wall....

The thing is our head lights have a up and down adjustment and a left and right adjustment.

What is the best way to get them lined up correctly again?

I have found that on really foggy days you can check them better because you can see the core (spot) in the center of the beam better and where they are directed.
    We used to aim headlights at the shop with headlight aiming equipment. While more precise the other avenues are close enough
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"