GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Newer factory wheels for a 97

1st post here. I searched on the internet to find a suburban forum for this issue and ended up here. After reading posts and searching for almost an hour, I realized I couldn't find what I was looking for and the postings here seemed good with little bashing.
    Anyway, my Burb needs some new tires and I'm always looking for factory takeoffs. Mine is a 97. Is there a limit to which factory takeoffs will fit? Up to 2004 16"s should be fine right? What about the new 17's?
    If there is a thread discussing, please point me in the direction, but I couldn't find it.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jeff
    1997 Suburban 1500 4wd - Big Blue

A friend of mine just got some late model 18" wheels and tires off of ebay for their 99.
    2008 Silverado_ Gone
    2006 HHR LT
    2008 Cobalt LT
    2001 Sonoma Gone
    2009 Cobalt XFE

Legend

Is there a reason you want to stay with the factory look? Anyways I'm not sure exactly what will fit but you can go to discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com and find the bolt pattern for your vehicle. Then just type in say an 01 and 06 and see if there the same. I'm pretty sure they are but check it out.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

reasons are a few. First, it's my wife's truck and she doesn't go for the fancy wheels. Second, I don't need to put fancy wheels on the truck and come out to find them gone. Third, factory takeoffs are relatively cheap around here and the rims I have now are scratched up pretty good. I think the lug pattern is the same all the way up to the new trucks, I just don't know if the newer bigger tires will fit and just wondered if anyone had done it.

Legend

What size tire's do you have now and what size do you want to go with?

KRIS
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:

Right now it's got the stock 245/75/16's. Don't have a preference as to what I'd go with, but it seems the newer 17's are the more abundant takeoffs right now. Are they the same lug pattern and would they fit? (New Silverado, Suburban etc.)

I guess I'd have to go check the tirerack site for total height and everything.

Legend

I think a 245/70/17 would be the same height as the old ones. And that is the most common tire size for take-offs.

KRIS
    Former GM Vehicles:

Default replacement whels and tires

I have a 99 Suburban with 17" factory Z71 wheels and tires off a 2003 Tahoe Z71. They look, ride, and handle great, and look factory installed. BTW, OEM wheels are generally much better quality then many of the aftermarket wheels. My wheels look like new with 4 yrs on them. Just clean them regularly and don't let brake dust build up on them. Try ebay or your local classifieds, of a local truck off-road shop. Good Luck!