GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default muffler fell off!

ive had an exhaust leak for a few months now, corrosion that broke through at the exhaust hangar about 1 foot in front of the muffler, been nothing more than a nice 2 inch hole or so until yesterday on the way from san antonio to corpus christi, i was driving about 65 with my son in the front seat and all of a sudden...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust 2.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	42393

Name:	exhaust 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	42394

huge dragging metal noise, didnt know what the hell it was, so i pulled over off I-37S looked under my truck and bam there it was. That exhaust leak i had broke through and the muffler nose dived. thank god that I had a mini sledge on me and a knife so i just cut one exhaust hangar off (the bolt ladder looking kind with a piece of rubber between them) i cut it through the rubber obviously, and the other hangar was the typical "hangar" once i cut the other one and knocked it loose with the sledge, i just slid it off the "L" rod and threw it in the bed of my truck (took about 15 minutes) thank god my father helped me recharge my A/C the day before or my son would have been roasting in my truck while i was doing that...

moral of the story???

fix your damn exhaust leak when it happens!
    my dad aint gonna leave me alone now lol
    quick side note that flowmaster muffler is 10 years old!!! been from Texas to washington DC, to Bangkok, Thailand for 3 years, then back to San antonio for a few years, then with me to college down here in corpus christi, texas. yeah my truck has been around, but time to replace it now!
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

coulda been worse!

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

That's both funny and not funny at the same time!

finally got it fixed guys
    went to a local muffler shop and got a new flowmaster "10" series, took less than an hour heres some pics...

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	43190

welding seemed very nice, and they triple checked for leaks everywhere

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	43189

however i noticed that when they dumped it it was dumped literally about 4 inches in front of the axle and was practically dumping all the exhaust onto the axle, so i asked them about it 2 days later if it was safe or not, and the owner checked it out, i was asked for his honest opinion if i should worry about my axle heating up where it dumps, and he said it did seem pretty close, so he took my truck popped in right in the shop, and took about 6 inches of the main pipe, no charge, great service, heres an updated picture, i know you really cant tell but it does seem better to me

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	43187

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	43188

the muffler is very smooth on my engine and i love the sound, nothing too crazy, although it is a "10" series, it is on a V-6 remember, I think it is a great sound for me, not harsh at all and resembles the rumble of a V-8 at idle (my optimistic thinking )
    Last edited by reggiecab2000; 08-24-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Let this be a lesson... Always keep a wire coat hanger on hand!LOL!!!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Glad you got it fixed. Everything is still intact under my '01 but I am starting to think about putting a new muffler in it, a lot like the new one you just got installed. I am looking for both improved air flow and some sound. I have lost count as to how many times several of my friends have commented on how quiet my truck is and it's a V-8!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Speaking of exhausts, does anyone know the diameter of the stock exhaust tubing for 2001 Silverado? I am about to buy a Flowmaster muffler and Amazon insists that it is 3" but I went out and measured my tubing. I swear it's 2.5".

That muffler looked a bit ashy in color no? Maybe just the pics?

HMM how did I miss this one? I'm thinking about getting a little 10 series on my truck.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by