GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What cam should I do?

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic that I just dropped a 5.3L into. My next upgrade is going to be 4.11 gears. Everyone tells me I'm going to lose a little high end speed so I wanted to do a cam after that so I could get that back up. What type of cam should I get for what I want? Please and thanks,

-Chad
    '07 Chevy Silverado Classic

PERFORMANCE
    -K&N Intake
    -Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer
    -Thrush Muffler
    -Bully Dog Triple GT Programmer
    5.3L V8
    LOOKS
    -3" Spindle Lift
    -Tint
    -Blacked Out Rims
    -Blacked Out Taillights
    SOUND
    -2 Kicker CVT 12s
    -Rockford Fosgate 6.5"
    -500 Alpine Mono Block
    -Pioneer 6.5" Touch Screen
    -2 Boss Tweeters
    SOON!
    -3.73 gears

well look at it this way, yea ull loose " top end" " you wont be able to do 145 mph" but ull still be able to do 130. but when will u ever need to do that? also our drive shafts arnt ment to turn that fast and those speeds... not a good thing to do. now as far as a cam what are your goals? its not goint to give u more mph it will how ever adjust your power band. if ur willing to get a stall converter id say run a 220 cam if not get like a 216/218 low lift...
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darnie1987 View Post
    well look at it this way, yea ull loose " top end" " you wont be able to do 145 mph" but ull still be able to do 130. but when will u ever need to do that? also our drive shafts arnt ment to turn that fast and those speeds... not a good thing to do. now as far as a cam what are your goals? its not goint to give u more mph it will how ever adjust your power band. if ur willing to get a stall converter id say run a 220 cam if not get like a 216/218 low lift...
    Well I might of stated that wrong. I want like high RPM speed. I have 3.23 gears in the truck now and when I drop in the 4.11 gears I will lose the take off from going 70. So I was wondering how i could get that back with a cam.

well actuall upping you gearing like going from a 3.73 to like a 4.11 or 4.56 will actually get you from 0-70 faster but basically will rev out quicker. if your not planning on applying boost to you truck id say 4.11 gears would be great.