GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Silverado Brake snowball...

So my wife says, I hear a metal grinding when I brake. First I'm glad she listens!!! So it is coming from the rear. I pull off the rear wheels and at first all looks good. Upon closer inspection, the right inner pad is completely gone (the other three pads look like new) so I'm in it for pads and calipers. Then I look closer and the rotors are really tore up and rusty. Ok, add two rotors. I pull one rotor off and find the backing plate is almost rusted away and the E-Brake is almost down to the metal. Add E-Brake and new backing plate. So what I hoped would be a $30 & twenty minute brake job, has snowballed into a $300 and several day brake job!!!

Thank goodness I can do myself, I'm sure it would have been a bundle at the dealer.......

1989 Chevy V1500 Suburban 4X4, long tube headers & xover pipe. w/1985 350 4bbl.
    2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L Ext. Cab
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L
    1990 Miata

So I have it all tore apart now. I took a quick look at the two piece dust shield. It didn't go right on, I'll have to finesse it in after work.
    I hope it goes on ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluesub View Post
    So I have it all tore apart now. I took a quick look at the two piece dust shield. It didn't go right on, I'll have to finesse it in after work.
    I hope it goes on ok.

If you still have it apart, I strongly suggest getting rid of that 2-piece dust shield. TAKE IT BACK, THROW IT OUT, DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET RID OF THAT CRAP! I had to replace my backing plates about 2 months ago, and I used the 2-piece backing plates. They still rub, no matter how much I finesse them, and I'm going to have to do them again. They occasionally don't rub, but when they're not rubbing, they rattle when you go over any bump at all... no matter how small it is.

So, If you haven't already put everything back together, I would advise going and getting the 1 piece ones from the dealer. At least you know that they'll fit properly, and that's what I'm going to do.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Don't ya hate when that crap happens. Mine was E-brake rubbing on rotor, then A/C belt tensioner, then burnt up transfer case which is still getting driven on until hopefully mid-late next week when I get the new/remanned one and send the old hunk a junk one back.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

The 2 piece shields actually went on ok and seem solid enough, I haven't put the rotors on yet. Why haven't I, well of course something went wrong.
    One of the little screws that hold on the E-brake shoes broke......... That ended my evening. Looks like I can remove a lug nut and get a line on drilling out the broken piece.

Ok, removed a lug stud and drilled out my broken screw. The hole goes all the way thru so it was not too bad. Good news, the e-brake shoes come with new screws and brackets. Adjusted the parking brake and put every thing back together. Brakes feel great and the parking brake works (it had stopped working a month or so ago)

And that's why they went back to drum brakes on the rear.