GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Rough shifting

Sr. Mechanic

Default Rough shifting

My transmission has been showing signs that its getting worn out by slipping every now and then, but this morning I drove it about 200 hundred yards and it was jerking me bad. I went back home cause I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. This afternoon I tried to drive it again and its like nothing happened. How can it be that bad and then be fine again?

Sr. Mechanic

It ended up being water in the fuel but he suggested a transmission flush. He said it was about 200, is that a fair price?

200 for a trans flush is high. about 89 dollars is standard rate at non dealer shops.
    Water in fuel just add heet
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Sr. Mechanic

$90 is that including replacing the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra11 View Post
    $90 is that including replacing the filter?
    You're mixing Transmission Flush with Transmission Maintenance. In a flush, only the fluid is drawn out and replaced. This is what is commonly performed at places like Jiffy Lube or Einstein Oilery. They'll tout how a full flush replaces all the fluid. It's true, it does... but unless you need to do that, the standard maintenance schedule just requires dropping the pan, replacing the filter and putting 4-6 new quarts in.

When you do the maintenance, only about 4-6 quarts are drained (out of 12-18) when the pan is dropped. The filter is changed during the maintenance. Personally, I don't do transmission maintenance without a filter replacement. If that thing gets clogged, you're hosed no matter how much you change the fluid. It's there for a reason, and that reason is to keep particles out of the fluid and from between the clutches.

If he's doing a full transmission flush AND dropping the pan, I'd say $200 is about right. Make sure you get the new Dexron VI. It's outstanding.

If it's one or the other, $90-$140 is common for shops and quick-lube joints. The exception would be if you're taking it to a dealership. Hard to say how high they'll take the charges!
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)