GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    This could also be as simple as the drive coming pre-formated as NTFS and the head unit only understanding FAT32 and/or exFAT. In addition and as previously noted, the stock system may also only be able to handle partitions of a certain size and smaller ... and 750GB may exceed its threshold. Fortunately both can be tested using trial-and-error with the drive Alox already has.
    Unless the stock system has really poor LBA support, it should support up to 2TB drives, though over that would almost certainly not work. 750GB should work, but as you suggest it is very likely formatted as NTFS instead of FAT, and I'm pretty sure the system only supports FAT drives (or maybe HFS+, haven't tried a Mac-format iPod on it).

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Unless the stock system has really poor LBA support, it should support up to 2TB drives, though over that would almost certainly not work. 750GB should work, but as you suggest it is very likely formatted as NTFS instead of FAT, and I'm pretty sure the system only supports FAT drives (or maybe HFS+, haven't tried a Mac-format iPod on it).
    Yup, I strongly suspect it's a format issue. That was my first instinct and I worked with @aloxdaddy99 last night to investigate it. He confirmed the drive was, indeed, formatted as NTFS. Unfortunately the quickformat option on Windows and Vista (which is what the systems he has access to are running) doesn't like drives as large as his 750gb, so he's going to have to do a verification and typical format /FS:FAT32 <drive num> command without the /Q flag.

As he didn't buzz me for help on it, this morning, I presume he was able to get the format going prior to going to bed. Hopefully it went well and he can drop a few files on it to test with.

It is in the formatting process now. I will let ya know when it is done.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

So here is what I have done so far with the help of @SurrealOne. I had to partition the drive. I used the FAT32 format and it now works. The major downer to me is that the largest partition size in that format is 32GB. So my 750GB hard drive has been greatly reduced. But it does work!!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    So here is what I have done so far with the help of @SurrealOne. I had to partition the drive. I used the FAT32 format and it now works. The major downer to me is that the largest partition size in that format is 32GB. So my 750GB hard drive has been greatly reduced. But it does work!!
    You can actually create a FAT partition larger than 32GB, but I don't think it is possible (easy) in Windows. You can definitely do it in Linux though (I had to do this to back up my PS3 when installing a 750GB drive in it).

I tried to do it with FAT. With my limited knowledge it didn't work. I tried with a partition size of 64GB.

Thats good and bad news Alox.... good you know how to get it working, but bad that the factory radio is limited to 32gb per partition. Have you thought about a third party head unit..... my preference is Kenwood, but many of them read more than 32gb.

Nak it's not the head unit that is limited (that I know of at this minute) to 32GB it is the only way I was able to get the drive formatted. I could only get it to format using FAT32 which has a size limit of 32GB.

@aloxdaddy99: Reset the partition size to max drive size and then pull down a third party tool to format that partition using FAT32. The theoretical max size is far larger than 32GB and you're running into MS trying to force NTFS upon you.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 08-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Ok with the help of @SurrealOne I have answered a few of my questions this evening. The stock unit will play.wma and mp3's. I was able to find the limit of the stock unit which for me was 260GB. So I am going to take the 750gb back and get a smaller one. Sur also recommemded I get a solid state drive. Handles the vibrations better and produces less heat. Again thanks SurrealOne!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast