GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like them, did not do much driving to break them in to much. So far so good
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I copied and pasted that link into a browser and got a 'page not responding' message from ebay.

As for rotors -- I would avoid drilled rotors, as they tend to crack. Slotted, however, should be fine.

Surreal, I don't get that.

I went ahead and put OEM rotors and pads on my truck 2 weeks ago, but I was looking at expensive upgraded rotors and pads and a "Big Brake" system would be the logical extreme upgrade for our trucks. Every single Big Brake Rotor is drilled. If I was in a truck or vette going way over the speed limit and I needed a set of brakes that would stop me, why are Big Brake systems all drilled if they are prone to cracking? the plates in the in the rotors on big brake systems are not really any thicker, but the diameter of them is larger.

I think the only issue would be anything drilled or slotted would eat up your pads quicker? (any links or references to issues related to drilled and slotted rotors would be great) as I was wondering about them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Surreal, I don't get that.

I went ahead and put OEM rotors and pads on my truck 2 weeks ago, but I was looking at expensive upgraded rotors and pads and a "Big Brake" system would be the logical extreme upgrade for our trucks. Every single Big Brake Rotor is drilled. If I was in a truck or vette going way over the speed limit and I needed a set of brakes that would stop me, why are Big Brake systems all drilled if they are prone to cracking? the plates in the in the rotors on big brake systems are not really any thicker, but the diameter of them is larger.

I think the only issue would be anything drilled or slotted would eat up your pads quicker? (any links or references to issues related to drilled and slotted rotors would be great) as I was wondering about them as well.
    Just because something is sold does not mean it is safe. Look at cigarettes as such an example ... or certain previously-sold Firestone tires if you want to keep it to vehicles. You also know just as well as I do that 'kits' often have one or more so-so parts ... so apply that to big brake kits when considering 'kits'.

So, the fact that big brake kit manufacturers sell their kits with drilled rotors doesn't make it a 'good thing' (as you seem to imply just because they all do this). However, it doesn't make a 'bad thing', either. You see, not all drilled rotors are created equally. Here's an article from EBC on the subject of drilled rotors that might help you understand: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/cross_drill...d_rotors.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Just because something is sold does not mean it is safe. Look at cigarettes as such an example ... or certain previously-sold Firestone tires if you want to keep it to vehicles. You also know just as well as I do that 'kits' often have one or more so-so parts ... so apply that to big brake kits when considering 'kits'.

So, the fact that big brake kit manufacturers sell their kits with drilled rotors doesn't make it a 'good thing' (as you seem to imply just because they all do this). However, it doesn't make a 'bad thing', either. You see, not all drilled rotors are created equally. Here's an article from EBC on the subject of drilled rotors that might help you understand: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/cross_drill...d_rotors.shtml
    Thanks for the article, it was a good read. I think there are 2 points made. 1. EBC does not recommend rotors that are drilled all the way though for various reasons and 2. (Which I think is even more important) is Buyer be ware........ Be careful of knock offs because that is were the problem really starts. If you are going to go with drilled rotors, then make sure you do it with a company that knows what they are doing and not some kid in a garage putting holes in rotors and selling them on fleabay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12