GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Brake Pads and Rotors

In about two weeks I need to buy brake Pads and rotor for my front only on my 08 V6 4.3 extended cab Silverado. I have $200 to do it if less then better. It is only the v6 but want something that doesn’t squeak, Suggestions anyone??
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

When i put brakes on my avalanche. I just shopped around. The rotors were 50 each at auto zone, but advance auto had them for 35. Then pick a decent pad. You can get cheap ones for like $25. I opted for ceramic pads for $50. They never squeak and had a lifetime warranty. You can easily do the front brakes for under $150 even with the other small odds and ends you need.

Curky not sure brakes are the place to cheap on. But I would bet as @RFoster130 said you can get the parts from Advanced,Auto Zone, OReily's or any other parts house.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Curky not sure brakes are the place to cheap on.
    This times two. The ability to stop is important -- more important than the ability to get going or keep going, in fact. After all, it's not speed that kills you -- it's the sudden, uncontrolled stop at the end that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Curky not sure brakes are the place to cheap on. But I would bet as @RFoster130 said you can get the parts from Advanced,Auto Zone, OReily's or any other parts house.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    This times two. The ability to stop is important -- more important than the ability to get going or keep going, in fact. After all, it's not speed that kills you -- it's the sudden, uncontrolled stop at the end that does it.
    What do you guys think of this.

[FRONT] PERFORMANCE DRILLED SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS AND CERAMIC PADS 2WD 4WD 4X4
    13" Front Rotors. Includes Powerstop Evolution Ceramic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-PERFORMANCE-DRILLED-SLOTTED-BRAKE-ROTORS-AND-CERAMIC-PADS-2WD-4WD-4X4-/221007042555?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2008%7CModel%3ASilverado+1500%7CMake% 3AChevrolet&hash=item33750bd7fb&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    What do you guys think of this.

[FRONT] PERFORMANCE DRILLED SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS AND CERAMIC PADS 2WD 4WD 4X4
    13" Front Rotors. Includes Powerstop Evolution Ceramic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-PERFORMANCE-DRILLED-SLOTTED-BRAKE-ROTORS-AND-CERAMIC-PADS-2WD-4WD-4X4-/221007042555?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2008%7CModel%3ASilverado+1500%7CMake% 3AChevrolet&hash=item33750bd7fb&vxp=mtr
    I copied and pasted that link into a browser and got a 'page not responding' message from ebay.

As for rotors -- I would avoid drilled rotors, as they tend to crack. Slotted, however, should be fine.

I am putting new rotors on my truck tomorrow, the factory ones are still on it and have 215k miles. I always keep my pads good so the rotors have worn even. I am also putting new e-brake shoes in the rear disc/drum combination since the rotors are getting replaced.

But I get squeaking too and it is annoying. Most of the mechanics tell me that GM trucks always have squeaky brakes as they get older, but I can't believe that.

With rotors, inspect them at the store when you buy them, mine were $41 each for the rear and $35 each for the front, but also they should be heavy. I always use ceramic pads, they last forever, I usually replace them before or around the half way mark cause I almost never slam on my brakes.

I thought about slotted or drilled rotors and the problem I know people run into is that they wear your pads out quicker cause they pass over the holes or slots and more of the pad gets bitten off each time.

Unless your brakes are heating up allot where they lock or jam, I would not pay extra for the slotted or drilled ones. Just make sure you get really good quality "normal ones"

Go with r1concepts cross drilled & slotted rotors with either hawk or r1concepts ceramic brake pads or ebc brake pads...then you can stop on a dime!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I copied and pasted that link into a browser and got a 'page not responding' message from ebay.

As for rotors -- I would avoid drilled rotors, as they tend to crack. Slotted, however, should be fine.
    Well, ordered yesterday at 3pm and came home from honey moontoday an hour ago to these. WOW that was fast from eBay. I know I went againstyour opinion, but my dude said if I buy pads in a year and a half to two year (notletting them wear too much.) It would be good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breaks.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	42945

Nice wedding gift to come home to. To each his/her own on drilled rotors.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by