GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Off Road U Joint Help

I am wanting to swap out U joints on my 95 GMC K1500. But I am unsure of exactly how many there are on the truck and what other parts are easy to replace while the u joints are already out. Any help?
    Shane Byrne
    SGT, US Army (Ret.)
    Head Coach, Missouri S&T Rugby
    1995 GMC K1500

I think from looking at the pic of your truck you have a short bed, which means you have a short driveshaft with U-joints at the trans tailshaft and the pinion, so two sets.
    Theres really not anything else to replace at the same time. If your gonna do this on your own be careful of trans fluid coming out the tailshaft of the trans snd mske sure you mark the driveshaft, pinion, yoke, and tailshaft for reference points before disassembling everything so you get them back together the same and hopefully avoid any balance issues.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I think from looking at the pic of your truck you have a short bed, which means you have a short driveshaft with U-joints at the trans tailshaft and the pinion, so two sets.
    Yeah it's a short bed, short cab. What can you tell me about the differences in maintaining the sealed vs non sealed and greaseable vs non greaseable options. I am in the middle of a ground up rehab on this old rig and would like to not waste my time with any asphalt only parts.
    Shane Byrne
    SGT, US Army (Ret.)
    Head Coach, Missouri S&T Rugby
    1995 GMC K1500

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Yeah it's a short bed, short cab. What can you tell me about the differences in maintaining the sealed vs non sealed and greaseable vs non greaseable options. I am in the middle of a ground up rehab on this old rig and would like to not waste my time with any asphalt only parts.
    Look for Spicer brand u-joints. They are the highest quality u-joint on the market. I always install greaseable u-joints in my vehicles. I like being able to push out all the old contaminated grease after water crossings or mud. I just grease them at every oil change and keep pumping grease into them until all the old grease is pushed out the seals and all I see coming out is the new grease.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Ox is another brand that makes U joints. I think theirs are also rebuildable.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Like Boonduff said Spicer Greasable are probably the best around, I've seen OX brand before but they dont seem to be carried everywhere.
    Even if you dont off-road your truck your better off with greasable U-joints, they just seem to last longer. just hit the zert fittings every time you do an oil change.

The mistake I made changing my 4wd driveshaft U joints was not buying greaseable ones.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011: