GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by paracutin View Post
    This thread has some really good, technical info on torsion bar suspensions.
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=276136
    wow, good read. so, it seems like for the best quality ride, you want the lower arm *almost* resting on the bump stops. Seems counter intuitive to me as I would guess you want the control arm dead smack in the middle of the upper and lower bump stops as it would allow for most suspension travel both going over bumps, and dropping into potholes. Also after reading the above thread, I am convinced that "cranking" the TBs alone should not have much effect on ride quality since the "rough" ride is a result of hitting bump stops, and not the tension on the TB.

I wish there was a way to measure how often, and how much the bump stops get hit.

Anyway, will do more experimentation.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    Is 65 psi the recommended tire pressure on the tire pressure decal? I think lowering your tire pressure first is a good idea.

65psi gives me the most even wear with these tires. The decal on the door is for the OEM tires. I run them around 50psi in the winter to get a bit more tire on the road but in the summer I pull a boat quite a bit and need the extra pressure.

You are not changing torsion bars so it should have the same spring rate. You just shifted the loaded axial position of the bars and the truck is the same weight load. I don't think raising the bars will stiffen and make the ride bouncy. Bouncy ride is a damping issue and maybe caused by a weak or worn shocks. Torsion bar do not perform any damping function.
    It sure seemed to. If the bump stops (actually called jounce something) are used to help the spring rate then it could be more bouncy if the jounce whatevers are elevated.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123