GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Tire Opinions

Default Tire Opinions

Hey guys, been a while since I've last logged on.

I need some of your opinions on tires....currently I'm running 305/55/20 Goodyear Wrangler duratrac's and I'm not really happy how they are wearing. I've only had them for just over a year...and I'm going to need new tires pretty soon.

However, I was so impressed with how they handled the snow up here in MI, so I will end up with another set of them (just for the winter on stock 18's) my question is...what do I run in the summer?

I've been looking hard at the Nitto trail grappler MT's, Nitto terra grappler, Toyo open country MT, and the BFG AT/KO.
    I love the aggressive look my duratracs have, which is why you will see a lot of MT stuff, but honestly...my truck has never seen a mud hole nor do I think it ever will. It goes in the trails once and a while...but I spend a majority of my time on the road....and towing a boat. So with that being said, I've heard a lot of negatives about the nittos and their tread life...espescially while towing.

Opinions...other options??

Thanks guys!

If tire life is a key concern then choose an AT tire. You already said you don't off-road, much, and you never find yourself in mud holes ... so an AT will serve you very well for mostly road use with very light off-roading. The more aggressive the tire is the worse it's going to wear on the road.

How do you feel about those Ultra Baron wheels?

I have been looking at getting a set of Ultras in the future.

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

mickey thompson baja atz radials are excellent. i have a few friends who run them on there cummins and they have had them on for over a year and he hauls his camper with them and the tires are still like new. and there meatier and they dont hum real bad like most tires do.
    99 chevy 1500 silverado 4.8 vortec True 2.5' dual exhaust with 3' Silver vein tips and vx muffler, 2005 tail light swap, mb tko 16" matte black rims Upcoming mods:HID headlights, 2" leveling kit

I had a set of Truxxus M/T radials on a Jeep Grand Cherokee I used to own (pic in my album) and had close to 30k miles on them and still had a lot of tread life left on them. I am planning on getting a set either the end of this year or the beginning of next.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18