GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Biggest tire size for stock 1999 suburban?

I was wondering if anyone else knew what the biggest size tire I could put on the Burban without rubbing on anything. I think the stock 245's are too small for that big gap in there. Thanks
    MONTANA CADILLAC

Proper noun. Used to describe ones large, lifted, comfortable, gas guzzling SUV that is driven primarily in the backwoods. Synonym for Chevy Suburban/ GMC Yukon XL.
    One corporate Suburbanite says to the other, while sipping his overpriced latte, "Check out the hick in that Montana Cadillac!" Both giggle as they wait for AAA to come pull their Audi/ BMW/ Mercedes out of a snow filled ditch

Usual answer I see for OBS trucks is about a 33 inch nominal tire. So maybe a 33x12.5 or a 285/75/16 or similar. A few do report needing to trim a little bit to prevent rubbing, so if you are absolutely opposed to any rubbing, you might want to settle for 32 inch nominal tires.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

285/75 which is a 33 would probably fit with a bit of torsion cranking needed

265/75 which is stock for 99-07 Z71s are 32 and would fit with no problems

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I have a 96 and I currently have 31x10.5-15 MT tires. They fit nicely, but if you hit a dip in the road, or go over RR tracks that are molded into a hump in the road, they do rub a bit when the suspension compresses. For normal driving, they are great. They look good, they dont rub, and I honestly wouldnt go much bigger. This, of course, is assuming that you are driving a sub with the same body style as mine. 99 is the year where they switched the body style half way through the year.
    1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    350 Vortec
    700R4 Trans
    149k mi and cruisin strong!

I have a 2000 silverado and 265/70R16's are the biggest I can go with out a leveling kit on the front. I have been wanting to go to 285's. The 265's are a huge improvement over the 245's I use to have.

Alright, I think I'm gonna try 285's so when i get my 3 in. lift (hopefully soon) I'll be all set.
    Thanks y'all

Jr. Apprentice

okay whats the best 3 inch lift for a 99 burban? i just got mine and its sitting a pretty decent hieght off the ground but its because it doesnt have the steps so it looks higher, im rolling on 245/75R16, so i wanna roll 285-305
    so what would be best 3 inch lift and would it be better to actually have someone else install it or could i do it myself
    1999 Suburban 4x4 5.7 loaded
    1984 silverado 3/4 ton loaded except 4x4
    68 VW baja toy

Jr. Apprentice

I have 285/75/16's on mine with a 2 inch lift and to be honest they look to skinny and short...what can I do for them?Also why would the tire be rubbing? It wasn't when I bought the vehicle but now I can see where the rim rubs an arm under neath the truck...its behind the tire and everything...I think I need something replaced because it seems to turn to far it only rubs when I turn it so far.

31.7 or 265/75/16 is the largest you can fit without a lift or leveling kit if your wheels are 16" an OE offset. If you install a level kit with the above wheel setup, you can safely run a 285/75/16 or equivalent height tire. A more negative offset may require a bumper/valance trim around the corner.
    Chuckie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnCap View Post
    I have 285/75/16's on mine with a 2 inch lift and to be honest they look to skinny and short...what can I do for them?Also why would the tire be rubbing? It wasn't when I bought the vehicle but now I can see where the rim rubs an arm under neath the truck...its behind the tire and everything...I think I need something replaced because it seems to turn to far it only rubs when I turn it so far.
    Have you had the truck aligned? My buddies 99 2500 did this as well until he had the alignment corrected

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by