GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Clunk at take off.

When I bought the truck there was no noise. After 1 week I would notice a clunking noise when pulling away from a dead stop about 10 percent of the time. I took it to dealer and he couldn't replicate the noise, but then he only test drove it around the lot. In the last week it has gotten worse and shows up more often and even when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and only about 20 percent of the time. I'd like to take it back to them but I almost think they are trying not to find it till after the warranty is up. Anybody have any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.
    2014 Silverado
    Bob.

check the usual fluids etc etc ..but i had the same thing ended up going to another stealership since the first one told me i was nuts so i went to a smaller dealership family owned and amazingly they were able to diagnose the problem and they ended up swapping the tranny they found it was slipping gears ..

good luck
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

Jr. Mechanic

Thanks, that's what I was contemplating doing. I would hate to do unneccessary damage to anything.

These sorts of noises can occur and are sometime common. Not always though. Is it still under warranty?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Jr. Mechanic

The truck has 35,900 miles on it. It was GM certified which gives me another 3000 miles of warranty and I made sure it came with 5 year/100000mile warranty also. The dealer said he couldn't replicate the noise but according to my trip meter he test drove it for less than 1 mile. It feels like the rear end is shifting back and forth or the tranny is moving. It doesn't feel like an internal problem. If it's normal then I can live with it but If it's moving around I have to believe it's causing damage. The 99 Sierra I traded for the 05 had 116000 miles on it and it made absolutely no noise whatsoever. It sounded more solid and I guess I'm just paranoid that it's going to cost me a bunch of money I don't have.

My Dad had a 01 that did the same thing. After takeing to the dealer 3 times they finally told him that it is normal and that there is nothing that they can do. To me it sounded a little funny that they found the problem but could do nothing to fix it. If i remember correctly it it something in the trans. I am not sure though. Like the shift soliniods.
    HI MY NAME IS. HI MY NAME IS. HI MY NAME IS.
    BJ

1993 GMC K2500 Suburban 5.7L Jegs 8.0mm wires, Jegs Red Hot Coil, Jegs Cap & Rotor, Accel U-Grove Plugs, Cold Air Intake, Holly Headers, Manderal Bend Y-Pipe, Super 40 Muffler, M/T Classic II sitting on BFG A/T (MINE)

[COLOR="Magenta"]1994 Chevy S10 Blazer 4X4 4.3L CPI. Delta Flow 50 Muffler.(Wifes) DIED.. Cab mounts rotted out.. Parting out need anything let me know!!!!

The first thing I'd check for a clunk on take off would be the u-joints.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Jr. Mechanic

I had it over a pit yesterday with me in the pit and a friend rocking forward and back. It's almost what I would think in the rearend as it tilts up and down which makes the leaf springs close and open. The U joints feel tight and when I twist the driveline back and forth I can hear it go tink in the aluminum drive shaft. The tail shaft in the tranny moves in and out a little while rocking it also. Nothing appears loose and moving. The spacers inbetween the leaves are present, I was hoping the were gone. I read somewhere that a helper spring would stiffen the movement up but I'm really at a loss here.

Any movement in the pinion bearing? You've kind of associated the noise with the axle wrap, so I'm wondering if it's in the pinion bearing.

For that matter, where you've associated the clunk with axle wrap, how are the suspension connections? Any loose shock bolts or worn sway bar bushings or similar?

Which direction is the movement at the transmission: in an out or up and down? Just for clarification, does this mean it's a 2wd, or is it a 4wd as indicated in your signature (in which case we are actually referring to the transfer case)? If it's a 4wd, which t-case, and does the noise change at all from 2wd to any 4wd positions?

The driveshaft on my Suburban doesn't have one, but does yours have a slip yoke that could be making the noise?

Rear disk or drum brakes? Anything sticky in the rear brakes that might cause them to hang up sometimes and cause a clunk? Do you regularly use the parking brake?

Just brainstorming ideas, I'll try to post more if I think of any.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Any movement in the pinion bearing? You've kind of associated the noise with the axle wrap, so I'm wondering if it's in the pinion bearing.

For that matter, where you've associated the clunk with axle wrap, how are the suspension connections? Any loose shock bolts or worn sway bar bushings or similar?

Which direction is the movement at the transmission: in an out or up and down? Just for clarification, does this mean it's a 2wd, or is it a 4wd as indicated in your signature (in which case we are actually referring to the transfer case)? If it's a 4wd, which t-case, and does the noise change at all from 2wd to any 4wd positions?

The driveshaft on my Suburban doesn't have one, but does yours have a slip yoke that could be making the noise?

Rear disk or drum brakes? Anything sticky in the rear brakes that might cause them to hang up sometimes and cause a clunk? Do you regularly use the parking brake?

Just brainstorming ideas, I'll try to post more if I think of any.
    Some of my terminology mave be off but I'll do my best.

The spring U bolts appear to be tight, as well as the shock bolts.
    The movement I called in the transmission tailpiece is actually where the driveshaft is attached to at the front of the dshaft. It is 4Wd so I guess I mean the transfer case. When the truck is rocked forward and backward the spot where the front of the driveshaft attaches is moving slightly in and out, may be normal???????
    When rocking it the front of the rear end is slightly changing the angle in whech it points if you would consider the attachment point as the pointer, it points up the down slightly as the truck rocks back and forth.
    As the truck rocks or when I turn the Dshaft back and forth manually I can hear and feel a clang or slop in the system somewhere, it almost feels like it is in the dshaft itself.
    I don't know what a sway bar bushing is.
    I've only used 4wd briefly and only to get the truck out of the deep snow and never noticed it for sure. It's getting more frequent the more I drive it.
    I'm not sure what a slip yoke is.
    I believe it has rear drums and I've never used the parking brake.
    Hope this helps in the diagnosis.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by