GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Electric Vehicle Charging Station at a Walgreens! eVgo Freedom Station

Ok, this was a first for me. Right into the corner of a Walgreens parking lot in Mansfield, Texas will soon be an operational electric vehicle charging station. Wonder what type of juice this thing will kick out, 440 maybe? Get you charged up after just sitting there for what, an hour? If anyone has any facts and figures on this, let me know as I'd love to get the low-down.

eVgo Freedom Station is what they call it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cell Phone Dump 1378.jpg   Cell Phone Dump 1380.jpg   Cell Phone Dump 1382.jpg  
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 08-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

The Walmart by my parents house used to have recharging station as the first like 4 spots on every row. They were never used and everyone hated them wasting spots. True electric cars are a few years off , the volts the only way to go for realistic Dailey driving. Plus those batteries are worse on the environment than our truck are at the end of the day
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

3. Likes ChevyFan liked this post
    Sr. Engineer

.They probably are 240 and 440 440 takes 30 minutes to charge costs more .
    Would not be much cheaper than gas if charge with 440. 240 takes 4 hours cost 2 cents per mile .
    Last edited by dipstick; 08-04-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

5. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

I work in downtown Raleigh and park in a parking deck owned by Progress/Duke Engergy and they have had a few of these in the parking deck for about 2 years now. If they are designed for quick charging, I would assume 440, but the Energy company mafia does not have to technically pay for their power, they just bill themselves back and write it off.

7. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

I just chatted with the people from NRG eVgo yesterday at the Dallas Auto show and I was surprised that I remembered posting about it way back in 2012. Anyhow, they claim that in about 30 minutes (on the Nissan Leaf) they can get a 70% charge (I hope I got that right) with the eVgo quick charging station and their studies show that quick charging like this does not reduce overall battery life.

Huh, I'm interested in everything automotive so I find this stuff to be fascinating. I really didn't think they could do a quick charge to get up to 70% that quickly, and if they did I was sure that continually doing that would reduce the battery life considerably.

@Steve The Twin Peaks in Lewisville has had an electric charging station right by the front door for about 2 years now. I saw it a little over a year ago. That was my first sighting of one. But haven't seen one since. :P
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!