GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to move the Heat/AC fan control to your roof console

So my silverado has a space in the roof console that will fit the control panel for the heat/ac, fan control, etc.

I know allot of suburbans, tahoe's, yukons, etc have this setup. So I stopped by the dealer today and asked them what wiring harness I would need to make that move and they had 10 different options.

So they took my VIN and called GM and they were even more clueless as to which one to use.

I assume I need to get a cable to go from the current location, up the driver side pillar around the window and then above the headliner to the roof console.

Anyone have any suggestions, or a Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon from 1999-2003 NBS where they could get me a part number or something.

It would be nice to free up that space in the dash for something else.

Nak I would look at a junk yard for that. Here is a link to a list of the local yards.http://www.junkyards.com/directory2/...a/raleigh.html

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I have a climate control unit from a suburban laying around that came in the overhead console I bought. It is smaller than the main one and the main one will not fit in there without a lot of modification - the console itself might have to be widened to accomodate that. You also won't be able to use the tahoe/suburban piece there because it doesn't have all of the functions of the main unit.

Your best bet on wiring if you decide to do it though, would probably be to run a set of wires up your pillar beside the windshield, label each at both ends for which color it goes to, cut the plug off, solder the wires in its place and reattach the plug at the other end.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    Your best bet on wiring if you decide to do it though, would probably be to run a set of wires up your pillar beside the windshield, label each at both ends for which color it goes to, cut the plug off, solder the wires in its place and reattach the plug at the other end.
    Personally I'd go to a junk yard to get an OEM harness and climate control from a wrecked silvy. I'd cut the wires off from the plug(s) leaving a good 6-8 inches so I could use them as leads, later. I'd then disassemble the AC control and/or destroy most of it such that only the receptacle (into which the plug mates) remained. I'd then solder my own wires to that receptacle .... with a run length long enough to get them to where they were needed ... and terminate them using the leads I left on the plugs I cut off the junked harness, earlier. I'd make sure I had a 1:1 positional match for each wire on each end (of receptable and plug). Last I'd place the wires in 3/8" wire loom and wrap it in electrical tape to protect the wires.

This approach allows you to keep your oem plug ... and extend it ... and if you ever want to revert, you can by simply remove the makeshift extension noted, above, and replace the overhead with something unmodified.