GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Help! Clicking/clanging sound from rear shaft to differential area

Just bought an 04 1500 4x4 with 115kmi yesterday (to replace my beloved '99 'burb). Drove nice and quiet during the test drive though I did note a slight "click" when initially engaging power to the train. Thought maybe there was slight play in one or more U joint so I wasn't too worried about that.

Today (all packed up for a weekend at the coast with the new truck) we started driving out of town up a long hill and there was a fairly loud clicking/clanging sound above 30mph. So I had my gf switch back and forth from "D" to "R" while I was under and located the click/clang sound from where the drive shaft goes into the rear differential and could see the drive shaft rock back and forth and seemed to have quite a bit of play. No leaks detected.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Could be a couple things. It could be your U joints easy. Mine was doing that when I would take off. It was a busted u joint. No play, couldn't tell until I took it off (99 Burb! Love mine too!!!).

It could also be inside your diff. Pull your diff cover and check it out. Be prepared to replace your gasket and diff fluid just to check. If there is something severe, you should see it right away. If you don't, it could be the pinion. That's a deeper check involving pulling out the gears.

Could just need adjusting. The backlash could be out of spec and that will cause a clang from the driveshaft when it engages.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Sounds a lot like it's time to change the U joints, may as well change them all while you got the drive shaft out, it'll save you the trouble of doing it all over again in the near future.