GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1998 Suburban fuel pump issue

I have a 1998 Chevy suburban with the 350 in it. It was working fine until my starter stopped working properly. So I replaced it and after I replaced it the fuel pump stopped working. The relay is fine and it clicks on for the first 2sec. like it should when I turn the key on. I cant hear the pump turning on but the relay works fine and I even tryed a new one too. I made sure that I disconnected the battery before I replaced the starter and I checked all the fuses and there fine. Is it just possable that the fuel pump stopped workin right after I replaced the starter or is there anything that I could have done to mess it up? Also could it be a bad igntion even if the relay clicks on?Thanks for your time and help all!
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

The way I always check if the fuel pump is gone or going on any car, the simplest way anyway is spray some starting fluid into the air horn, intake. If she don’t fire then it is a good bet you have ether a bad pump or clogged filter.

Steve

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    The way I always check if the fuel pump is gone or going on any car, the simplest way anyway is spray some starting fluid into the air horn, intake. If she don’t fire then it is a good bet you have ether a bad pump or clogged filter.

Steve
    Yup.

Burb fuel pumps are notorious. Heck mine failed in conjunction with a poor oil change! It's just the timing, but hey, it can sure bust yer noggin, especially if it goes slow like mine did: I got it running with a full tuneup, but it would sputter and die out at wide open throttle. Then it just conked.

Spray starting fluid or even MAF cleaner down your intake and hit the key right away...if you wait too long, just a few seconds, it may not work. If it fires, get a pump.

Advice on a pump: check out RockAuto.com. I got a Carter with the spiral vane pump for 130 bucks. It's an improved pump design. Chevy wanted 400 bucks for a standard replacement and more for an AC Delco. My failed one was a Declo...four years old. Napa wanted 300.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...