GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1500 vs. 2500 control arms/spindles

Hey everyone! New to the site. I've been looking everywhere and can't come up with a definite 100% answer. Hopefully someone here may be able to help me out. I'm working with a 1996 Chevy 1500 single cab 2WD. Will the control arms and spindles from a 88-98 Chevy 2500 2WD bolt up to my 1500 frame? I've heard answers both ways. Anyone here know for sure? Thanks!

Hmm. Found some interesting information from Autozone. The lower control arms are the exact same part number for the 1500 and 2500. Turns out there was a light duty 2500 (7200 lb.) even back in 1989, and it had a 6-lug front rotor. The light duty 2500 and the 1500 have the exact same part number for the upper control arm. The heavy duty 2500 (8600 lb.) was the 8-lug. The lower control arm is still the same part number as the 1500. The upper control arm is different, but that's because it was a tubular style arm instead of the stamped steel. The tie rod ends are the same for both of the 2500's and the 1500. Now it's a question of if the heavy duty 2500 had a spindle with different mounting dimensions than that of the light duty 2500. I can't imagine that Chevy would have different dimensions for the mounting points, but only have different strength ratings for the spindle and upper control arm. I'll check with a Chevy dealership tomorrow and see. So far it looks like I should be able to take the upper control arms (light duty or heavy duty 2500), the lower control arms (2500), and the spindles (light duty or heavy duty 2500), and install them on my 1500 frame. Actually, I should be able to swap out the spindles and upper control arms from the heavy duty 2500, bolt it on to my 1500 frame, and all should be good. That will give me 8-lug hubs on my 1500 frame with no problems.

Hey,
    I know it has been a while but were you ever able to find answers to your questions? I have a 1988 Chev light duty 2500 6 lug, 2WD. I was able to confirm the spindles are the same as the 1500 series. What is strange is that I am trying to source out a lift kit for my truck, and I am finding that many places (ie: Rough country) say that the spindles are for 1500 5 lug and will not fit 2500 6 lug. This is now confusing to me, as I know they are identical. Maybe they are not as hard, so they just don't want the guys putting them on 2500 series, but part numbers at auto parts stores are the same indeed. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm not sure about the light duty 2500, so the following info. is for the 1500 and heavy duty 2500. I know for sure that the 1500 and the heavy duty 2500 spindles are different in that the 2500 has larger holes for the larger ball joints. The lower control arms are identical, except for the ball joints, but if you buy the lower control arm without ball joints, it will fit the 1500 and 2500. The upper control arm, as far as I have been able to find, is the same dimensions between the two trucks. Again, the ball joints are different. The 1500 upper arm is stamped steel, where the 2500 upper arm is more of a tubular style, but I'm 99% sure they are the same dimensions. I have not found any info to dispute that. The rear leaf springs/shackles are interchangeable between the two trucks. Obviously the 1500 springs are softer. I have both a 1500 frame and a 2500 frame sitting in my driveway right now, and the only difference is the height of the frame from the firewall to the front of the bed, basically under the cab. The frame is a couple inches taller on the 2500. You can swap out the front coil springs as well. I'm using the 2500 frame and front control arm/spindle assemblies, but I'm using the 1500 coil springs and leaf springs. I'm not sure what else you'd like to know, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Well, thanks to you and others on the net I was able to find out everything I need to know. I am glad you told me that the springs are the same as well as that I did not know. Thanks a bunch!