GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What wiper blades do you recommend and does rain x ruin wiper blades?

I have used everything from the cheap $3.xx Anco wiper blades to the $25 wiper blades and I guess the $24 wiper blades seem to hug the windshield better and last longer than the Anco's, but either way, I have always liked Rain X because there are times (at least here in NC) where the rain will be coming down so hard that even with the wipers set to high, they just can't keep up with the rain that is falling. So 3 questions:

• Which wiper blades do you recommend?
    • If you used Rain X, did it ruin them over time?
    • Where you able to restore the wiper blades if Rain X messed them up and if so, how?

Currently have cheapo blades on the truck but front and rear windows have Rain-X treatment and I use a wiper fluid from Rain-X. Might get Rain-X wipers this weekend because they are on sale. Just the treatment stuff works amazing but would love to try their wipers.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I have been partial to Bosch. They seem to last longer than the AC Delco or whatever factory puts on lol

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Currently have cheapo blades on the truck but front and rear windows have Rain-X treatment and I use a wiper fluid from Rain-X. Might get Rain-X wipers this weekend because they are on sale. Just the treatment stuff works amazing but would love to try their wipers.
    x2 on Rain-X treatment. I use the Rain-X all-season windshield washer fluid and also use the 2-in-1 Rain-X glass cleaner on the side and rear windows. Good stuff.

X2 on the Bosch blades.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Which rain x fluid is it, I remember when it Rain X fluid first came out, there were allot of problems with it because over time it would clog the fluid motor and fluid tubes causing the pump to run harder and eventually die.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Which rain x fluid is it, I remember when it Rain X fluid first came out, there were allot of problems with it because over time it would clog the fluid motor and fluid tubes causing the pump to run harder and eventually die.
    I named which fluid it was when I said it the first time around: "Rain-X all-season windshield washer fluid"

Currently I use the rain-x bug cleaning fluid because in new England during the summer u constantly hit bugs. And I treated the mirrors and side windows as well just need to treat them again because its wearing off with out being reapplied every time I clean the window.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    • Where you able to restore the wiper blades if Rain X messed them up and if so, how?
    I have always had luck with wiping the blades down with rubbing alcohol. I do it everytime I detail my truck. It keeps them clean, they wipe better after doing it, and they seem to last longer. I noticed that if I park outside near a tree, the blades always wipe like crap after, I think it is due to tree sap and other particles sitting on the blade. I wipe them until they are clean and the performance is restored. I don't know that rainx would actually ruin your blades unless you let it sit on them for a very long time, as it is basically just denatured alcohol. In a pinch I have used the rain-x to clean my blades and they performed just fine.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Just yesterday I swapped out a set of very old and chattery Rain-X wiper blades on my Saturn for a set of Bosch blades. I would have loved to have put Bosch Icons on, but at $25 a blade, I can't afford it. From what I've heard the Icons are the best on the market.

On my Suburban I put the cheapie Valucraft blades on because they rot from the sun and not being used before I get any decent life out of them. I do have Rain-X wiper fluid in the 'burb. I really didn't notice a difference in performance, but I suspect the washer fluid works best when used in conjunction with regularly Rain-Xing the windshield.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by