GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default replacing fuel pump on 93 chevy 1500

My friends dad asked me to help him with replacing his fuel pump on a 93 half ton. He wants to take off the box to get at it. just wondering if anyone has input to help this procedure go smoother and faster. and tips, storys or step by step instructions would be helpful! thanks

When I replaced my fuel pump 3 freakin times in 3 weeks on my 99 NBS, we (me and 3 others) took the bed off each time.

All it is *I THINK* is unbolting the fuel filler neck from the bed itself and undoing the 6 bolts I believe (on mine) and lifting up and over the rear tire. From there the fuel pump should be easily accessed.

Putting it back on is well the reverse. Should go pretty smooth with some willing volunteers maybe 4-6 who are in the 5'10"-6'6" foot height range.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

The how-to sub-forum is not for requesting how-tos. It's only for completed how-to instructions. Moved to General Tech.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

The box has 8 bolts holding it on...there gonna be tight/rusted it so i would throw some heat to them...take out the tail lights and disconnect them and pull the wires out...then take out the three bolts that hold the fuel filler neck in and push it threw and take out the bolt thats holding the wire/ground on also...you then are ready to take off the box...2-4 guys can do it pretty easy...once you get it off,wash the top of the tank off so you can see it better cuz gravel and dust will be up there...disconnect what you need to and then remove fuel pump...MAKE SURE NO DIRT/CHUNKS GETS INTO THE TANK...Install new pump and hook everything back up and that should do it...ALSO make sure you check the rear brake lines cuz its ALOT easier to fix them with the box off!...check for other issues while the box is off...GOOD LUCK

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

X2 of what everyone else has said!! Also just a good idea is to tell him that whichever pump he decides to get make sure it comes with a new a new plug and wires because those plugs at your fuel pump are known to burn up pretty easily, just and easy thing that you might as well replace!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!