GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Bracket modification for aftermarket stereo

I am installing an aftermarket stero head unit in my 2003 Suburban. The new unit is about 1/2" longer (deeper) than the stock unit so I will need to cut out some of the plastic on the back of the bracket that the head unit attaches to.

I would like to take the stereo/HVAC mounting bracket out of the vehicle to make the necessary modifications if possible for a number of reasons, but it has 2 fastners on the back of the bracket that I have never seen before. I will describe it as best I can (might be completly wrong) It appears that there is posts on mating brackets that fit through holes on the stereo/HVAC bracket and than some type of fastner that is press fit or crimped on over the posts to hold the bracket in place. There are also 3 bolts that attach around the perimiter of the bracket which are easy enough too remove.

Does anyone know how this bracket is fastned on and how to remove it? Also how would I refasten this bracket back on once I remove it?

I did not think to take a picture of it while I had things apart. It is now put back together with the stock radio in. I will add a picture tomorrow if that will help.

Thanks for any help,

Tim

You did a good job describing but I need to see. Then maybe I can help.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

OK that link does have a photo of the bracket I am talking about, but I don't see any info in there to answer my questions. Anyways I marked up the picture with red arrows pointing to the holes on the bracket that have the post and fastner detailed in my original post. The posts come through from behind in the picture and the fastner attached over the top of the post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 Sub.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	42726

OK, As long as it goes back in secure I would just cut it with a dremel and say screw it. I wish I could help more. It has been a couple of years since I have done stuff like this. When I went all out I used real thin wood from the hobby shop and small fiber glass kit. Cut what I needed too and formed the wood (w/glue), then cover with the fiberglass kit (to make it more sturdy). Attach the wood (fiberglass) with the plastic bracket. It depends what you are conferrable using and doing.
    Sorry I could not be more help. Hopefully someone else can help you soon.
    I don’t think there is going to be an easy solution for you. Let me know how it turns out.
    Tim Walters (Curky)